THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bad top barrel on browning superposed....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
picked up an older 12 ga browning superposed in 12 ga.. top barrel is damaged... ringed... about halfway thru the forearm... its bulged out about 1/8" all the way around... I guess the shooter dropped a 20 ga shell in it by mistake and then fired a 12 ga on top of it... the barrel did not burst... lucky for the shooter.... I'm thinking of having the top barrel replaced with a rifle barrel... monobloc the barrel into the action, the bottom barrel has no damage... and is in great shape.. wood is good, so far my ideas of caliber is something flanged... like .300 or .375... I know that Winchester made an over/under in .458 win mag and the browning looks to be as strong as the Winchester... lots of things to consider... bushing the firing pins, some way to attach the top barrel to the bottom so it can be regulated, a quarter rib for sights, scope bases.... and I need a gunsmith to work on it....comments?????...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does it pattern? You might have a back bore barrel diamond in the rough!

Posts: 3715 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
go big or go home.....

It sounds like you're going big on this project. My first call would be to Freer Gunshop in Houston for a feasibility study. Let us know what you hear.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I would go with a 45-70.

Then use a nice hard cast heavy bullet above 400grs in the 1600 fps range.

But that's just me.

Posts: 19448 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure it is possible if you have money; go with a rimmed caliber; it will be much easier making an extractor for it. The barrels will be attached with solder; "regulation" with a combo gun is not as critical as with a DR. Quarter rib is standard gunmaking work.

Posts: 17186 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there some reason you cannot ship it back to Belgium for a new barrel?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had friend that bought a Browning O/U that the top barrel was ringed, he sent to Briely, and they fixed for I believe for less than 200.00

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Kirk Merrington in Kerrville may be able to repair the existing barrel and re-blue the set for about $600. I had the same issue toward the choke on a 12 ga Superposed and his work is impeccable. (830) 367-2937

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had friend that bought a Browning O/U that the top barrel was ringed, he sent to Briely, and they fixed for I believe for less than 200.00

I think that would be one heck of a deal

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Who would want a two barrel shotgun anyway?; a rifle/shotgun combo gun is far more interesting. If you have it fixed, you have a O/U shotgun, just like the tens of thousands of others out there. If you build a rifle/shotgun, you have something unique. That is the way I look at everything.

Posts: 17186 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote