THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mauser Receiver Ring Tapered Down to barrel: Safe?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Receiver Ring Tapered Down to barrel: Safe?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy. I picked up a Radom Mauser sporter for $125 at the gun show the other day. I bought it for the stock and the Redfield all steel peep on it, but I thought I might shoot it as is. The action seems to be in excellent shape except that the previous owner lathed off the barrel steps and in the process of doing that he also tapered up from the barrel shoulder up to about 1/4" to 3/8" in from the front edge of the receiver ring. Does this substantially weaken the action?

If my description isn't clear enough I can try to borrow a camera and take some pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any time you remove metal from a receiver ring it weakens that portion of the action...However I would worry more about that rifle than its modification...I have heard some really bad things about the Radom, but that does not come from hands on experience, so I cannot say for sure.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I posted about the Radom here yesterday and I was told that it was one of the best. Now you say it could be bad. Granted I take everything on the internet with a grain of salt. Could you recommend a good authority who could settle the matter? Mine is marked K29 on the left of the receiver and seems to be a standard large ring 98.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a message to Alf and he can answer that question.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote