New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR forend refinishing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a nice unfinished factory forend to replace the cracked one on my Mark II Safari made in 1993. Any suggestions or tips on how to match the color and best way to mimic the shiny Browning finish ?
thanks
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 708 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
All I can say on matching the color is experiment with different stains on similar wood or on the inside of the forearm until you get a close match.

As for the shiny finish, I've had good luck matching Browning finish using Gun Sav'R Custom Oil high gloss spray finish (Brownells 209-100-014). Follow the directions and apply enough coats to fill the grain, then wet sand surface flat using 400 or 600 grit paper. Apply one or two finish coats then let dry hard--at least a week but two weeks is better. Then final finish by rubbing with rotten stone and paraffin oil. Then checker the forearm and finsh the checkering.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote