New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which action for a custom 221 Fireball?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to build (have built) a nice walking varmint type rifle chambered for the 221 Fireball but cannot decide upon an action. Certainly, I'd want something scaled to the proportion of the case size, but normal enough to find stocks and other parts. Seem like the new Winchester Super Short action might be the right lenght or maybe the CZ 527, but I sure don't like that magazine. Would the new Montana action be ideal? Thanks for any advice.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the Sako Vixen(L461).

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Mine is built on a Ruger #3, and I love it. I know others who have built them on Ruger #1s and they work equally well.

A long time ago I read a magazine article tittled "Varmint rifles are single shots" and I just took it to heart. All my smaller caliber varmint rifles are on Ruger # 1s or #3s. [Wink]

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MRC's new mini action might turn out to be just the thing. Haven't seen one yet.
Aside from that I have to agree with Bill. The Sako L461 would be great. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cooper would probably build you exactly what you wanted, and the model 21 action is appropriately sized. It's a single shot though, not a repeater.

cooper

Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Remington M700 Short action, or M1999 Short Action. The easiest to build one from is going to be the Remington, look for one pre-Jlock.

Frank D

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI, CZ is chambering its 527 in .221 this year. Although it is not a custom platform, it is scaled to fit, and they do shoot very well.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Leeper...

They are a sweet action. My Dad built two rifles on that action. A .222 and the .221 Fireball. The .222 is in my hands now. Havent been able to snag the .221 yet!

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've spoken to my resident expert Ken about the 221 Fireball and he said it should work out of the Mini action fine, he said we may have to offer some kind of block for the magazine to make it work better. Ken said that it may work even without a block.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 7 action, like new I may part with.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll put a vote in for an Interarms Mini Mark X. They gernerally are about half the price of a Sako vixen and if Charles Daley ever starts to imprort them again they're to be available in several different bolt face configurations.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 600 Remington complete in 223 that is for sale.

Bob [Cool]

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe,

In your reply above you mentioned that you have a M7 small bolt face you may part with..
Please email me. pbppc at txucom.net.... Put the appropiate symbol in place of "at"....

one of us
posted Hide Post
The model seven work best. Remington had to relocate the extractor on the 700 classic 221 to the position on the XP, 600,and mdl 7 bolts. you can order the 700 mag box spring and follower from the cassic fit in a model 7, I had my action pinned for switch barrel and have MKIV barrel as well. I bought a XP bolt  -

[ 06-07-2003, 08:02: Message edited by: Pokerplayer ]

Posts: 261 | Location: SW MO | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote