Find
Notify
Tools

'96 Swede Carbine Barrel Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted
I recently inherited a 1894 Swede carbine 6.5x55 barreled action (1907). After cleaning the barrel I noticed that the rifling looks pitted, but not pitted like it would be from rust. It looks more like the steel was torn as it was rifled. Is this normal for this model and year? The "pitting" looks consistent from one end to the other. After hearing how accurate these things are I thought I'd ask the experts! Any thoughts will be appreciated.

It had already been drilled for bases and has a Timney trigger. I want to build something for my sons to use for deer/first elk hunting. Hoping to end up with a light-weight, nice looking 150-200 yard shooter.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 72 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Normally theese rifles have very smooth barrels.
I do not think it was done during its making.
It will probably still give good groops, but will fill up with copper real fast,so use a good copper-remover!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5Gibbs:
I recently inherited a 1896 Swede carbine 6.5x55 barreled action (1907). After cleaning the barrel I noticed that the rifling looks pitted, but not pitted like it would be from rust. It looks more like the steel was torn as it was rifled. Is this normal for this model and year? The "pitting" looks consistent from one end to the other. After hearing how accurate these things are I thought I'd ask the experts! Any thoughts will be appreciated.

It had already been drilled for bases and has a Timney trigger. I want to build something for my sons to use for deer/first elk hunting. Hoping to end up with a light-weight, nice looking 150-200 yard shooter.

Thanks in advance!

I would put it in a stock and shoot it before I made any decisions. The 3 96's I have are excellent shooters. Your perfect first deer elk rifle might be closer than you think cheers

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of mine have pits either.

I have a new surplus, old Gustaf m38 barrel on a custom built swede action and its my most accurate rifle. Those swede barrels are very accurate

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bent. I used Barnes CR-10 to clean it up, but was surprised that it cleaned up so easily. I too would have thought that it would have been full of copper. Is there any way to "lap" the inside of the barrel to smooth is up some? The rifling looks to be cut pretty deep. Also, do the longer M96 barrels have the same taper as the carbine barrels? I was thinking of completing the rifle and if it doesn't shoot like I want it to, I could rebarrel it to a longer barrel and cut it off at 22" (560mm) or so. If the longer barrel has a different taper maybe I should just find a new cosmolined barrel and install it before I start on the wood. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
m94 barrel is same diameter but the barrel steps are different location

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on lapping the bore some way? Also, does anyone know of a good source for a decent barrel if mine is too far gone?

Any thoughts on using a carbine barrel vs. a longer one (cut off at around 22")? Under 18" seems pretty short, but for a 12-14 yr. old kid maybe it's ok. I keep thinking that a little longer barrel might make him more aware of muzzle control. Obviously a shorter barrel might help him keep from getting it tangled up in brush.

Thanks to all that replied!

One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted Hide Post
I've been looking around some trying to find barrel and haven't had any luck. Does anyone know of a source for either a m94 or m96 barrel?

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Samco advertized them in the Shotgun News

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted Hide Post
I went to Samco's website, but couldn't find any barrels listed. Thanks though.