Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books
 Login/Join

posted
What are some must have books for the begining gunsmith? Old and new.

Posts: 19 | Location: Central OKlahoma | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
de Haas' Bolt Action Rifles, also his Single Shot Rifles and Actions

Dunlap, Gunsmithing

Ackley, Ackley's Handbook, vols 1 and 2

Vickery, Advanced Gunsmithing

Howe, The Modern Gunsmith, vols 1 and 2

Hughes, Custom Rifles in Black and White

NRA Gunsmithing Guide

NRA Firearms Disassembly Manuals, several

Linden, Stockmaking

Kennedy, Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks

Wesbrook, Professional Stockmaking

Hinnant, Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting

This is merely a beginning, a bare minimum IMO.
Good luck, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
DIY Gunsmithing - Jim Carmichel

Gunsmithing Tips & Projects - Wolfe

Posts: 6443 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
Is there a book that goes over the "geometry" of the receivers/magazines etc... I would like to learn how to make a specific cartridge function perfectly in all aspects in a certain reciver. I have heard smith talk about this type infotmation. However I have never found in all the limited readings I have done.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO Duane Wiebe is by far the best source of info on the subject of bolt rifle feeding and geometry. He has written about it on this forum but I don't think he's actually written a book yet.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a book that goes over the "geometry" of the receivers/magazines etc... I would like to learn how to make a specific cartridge function perfectly in all aspects in a certain reciver. I have heard smith talk about this type infotmation. However I have never found in all the limited readings I have done.

Yes there is. but for the life of me I can not remember who wrote it. Titled simply "Bolt Actions" there was two versions. On the tip of my tounge.......... Think Stuart Olsen?????

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Stuart Otteson wrote a 2-volume study of the bolt actions, with data such as striker fall, mainspring tension, action weight, etc. Don't think it had any feeding info however, but it's full of info not available elsewhere.
Regards, Joe