Find
Notify
Tools

Need clarification on Timney trigger for M98
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Due to all the variations on the Mauser 98, can someone clarify which of the Timney Sportsman triggers works with the Mauser 98 action I have? The info on Timney's website seems straight forward, but then doesn't match up with what I read on Midway.

The action has the Nazi eagle on the side of the receiver by the 4 digit serial number, says 243 and 1940 (factory/year markings) on the top of the receiver, and on the left wall of the actions says "Mod.98" in front of the thumb cut. Based on my research, this makes the action a K98, which should be the Timney trigger #102 (vs. the #101 model). Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I'm at work, not working, and I cannot get at the Timney or Midway websites from here, but what you describe is a K98, so based on your post, then yes, the #102 should be correct.

If you still have doubts, call Timney. They are great people to deal with.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your rifle is not a K98; the Timney instructions are wrong and confusing. WW2 German rifles were Karibiner 98 Kurz, and were never marked Kar, or K, 98.
There is a Kar98b, but that is a just a Gewehr 98 with a turned down bolt. Still a standard 98 action. I never understood why they offer two different triggers anyway; the receivers are all identical back where the trigger goes. Your rifle was made at a Mauser factory, but in Berlin (Borsigwalde). All German WW2 Mausers are marked Mod 98; there are a couple of exceptions, but none were marked Kar (that is a WW1 small ring, large thread 98) or K; that is the Polish 98 small ring, large thread. So, if you do not want a safety, get the 101. But 102 will also work.
Timney says the WW2 rifles have smaller trigger guards, but that is not true.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Your M98 marked action is considered a standard German 98.
The difference between the 101 and the 102 is the position of the trigger lever inside the trigger guard loop. The 101 that fits most M98's is towards the back and the 102 (for use with a slightly shorter trigger guard-perhaps the M48 Yugo) is further forward. What is frustrating is that many sellers show the exact same (back-most) trigger for both models. This is misleading and has been the case for many years. I believe the Timney Sportsman 101 is blue in color and the 102 is aluminum in color. But, I'm not 100% certain on the colors. Either one will work on your standard 98. It's your choice where you want the trigger. I prefer the 101 so the trigger is positioned behind the first finger joint. The 102 would be forward of that joint. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
GOOGLE THIS: picture timney sportsman mauser trigger
Click on the pictures until you find the 2 different ones.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say; the Kar 98s have smaller trigger slots in the trigger guard; but practically no one is building rifles on Kar98 any more (that is the WW1 small ring, big thread). All other 98 Mausers have the large slot in the TG. Again, the guys at Timney are confused and so are their instructions. Fortunately, it is hard to make a wrong decision since both triggers fit 99 percent of Mausers anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The small ring large thread kar98 has the bow of the trigger guard forward from the standard 98. The trigger for the kar will sit in the middle of a standard trigger guard.
Doesn't really matter with the action, but you need to fit the trigger to the trigger guard.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
36 years ago I purchased and installed a Timney trigger on my Oberndorf Type A Mauser, a standard M98 action. The trigger was a straight swap for the two stage Mauser trigger and only required a minor shaving of the trigger recess in the stock to fit the action back in.

The packet the Timney trigger came in is labelled M98-K Sportsman

It is a fantastic trigger and never changed from the day it was fitted.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I have a Kar98 that I'm working on (new walnut stock) with a Blue body 101 trigger (trigger towards the rear) and there was no trigger slot issue to deal with because it wears a 1909 Argentine trigger guard.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info. I took a look at the trigger guard and there is definitely room for the trigger to sit further back. Put an order in for the 101.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Exactly; if you have a WW2 action and TG, which you do, either will fit. And/or a 1909 Arg. Kar 98 TGs are very uncommon these days. In fact, Bold only offers one trigger to avoid the confusion.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Just in case someone finds this thread later on, installed the Timney Sportsman 101 model. Super easy to install, poke the retaining pin out on the military trigger, put new trigger on, push the retaining pin back in and remove a little wood on the stock so the new trigger housing unit will fit. About 2 minutes to install the trigger and another 20-30 to inlet the stock.

Looks clean and breaks crisp.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Just in case someone finds this thread later on, installed the Timney Sportsman 101 model. Super easy to install, poke the retaining pin out on the military trigger, put new trigger on, push the retaining pin back in and remove a little wood on the stock so the new trigger housing unit will fit. About 2 minutes to install the trigger and another 20-30 to inlet the stock.

Looks clean and breaks crisp.

A good choice and your installation exactly how mine was when fitting the Timney M98-K Sportsman model trigger to my Type A Oberndorf.

Your final sentence says it all.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote