New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sticky bolt Lift
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My brother has a rifle that has a sticky bolt, with any ammo he uses. Any!! Off the shelf cheap stuff, my reloads, my "downloaded" reloads, just any. Extremely difficult to get a "fired" empty case to chamber. Fully resized will chamber no problem. It is a Remington 7mm Mag. I have the same rifle and mine is fine. He has sent it to Remington and they said it was perfect. What gives?

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo21:
My brother has a rifle that has a sticky bolt, with any ammo he uses. Any!! Off the shelf cheap stuff, my reloads, my "downloaded" reloads, just any. Extremely difficult to get a "fired" empty case to chamber. Fully resized will chamber no problem. It is a Remington 7mm Mag. I have the same rifle and mine is fine. He has sent it to Remington and they said it was perfect. What gives?

It will chamber FL sized case but not FL sized cartridge?

Have you spun fired case under a dial indicator at various locations along case? I've found as much as a 0.0025 bump in a case indicating a gouge in the chamber. Would only feed FL sized cases easily. Not sure how Winchester accomplished this feat since this "bump" or high spot was narrow and located at about 90 degrees and began just above the belt (7mmSTW).

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Tombo21---

That's a pretty good sign of a soft cocking cam. Has the bolt been altered in any way? New handle, or a handle repaired?

What make and model? Is it sticky after dry firing?

If it ONLY does it after actual firing and DOESN'T do it after dry firing you should send it to a gunsmith.......the factory usually has no clue how to "fix" a rifle......only make them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, just sticky to real sticky after live firing. Perfectly normal otherwise. But it will only feed fully sized ammo. It will not feed anything else and it's then a pain in the butt to get it out. It's a Remington 700, I think BDL.
But thanks, I definitely think it's a gunsmith problem. So my brudder can send it off to a competent gunsmith.

Thank you.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have two indicators; sticky bolt lift and failure to chamber a fired round. This combination could be caused by either severly set back locking lugs seat or a chamber with a bulge. If the brass came out, it should go back in. Oil the fired case and try to insert it while turning it slowly. If you find a spot where it slips in, it is likely a chamber bulge. If not, I would vote for setback, which is allowing the case to lengthen.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's nobody around me that seems capable of checking this out. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in Southeast Texas? (Houston/Beaumont area) Thanks