New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Mag Box Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody know what the differences are in the mag boxes that Winchester sells? Do the magnum boxes fit a standard action? eg: Magnum box in a 270 action?
I was wondering because the 270 mag has a spacer welded into place at the rear which makes me think that a H&H mag would probably be the same mag without the spacer. Is this accurate?
bigbull

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270 and 375 mag boxes are the same length. The 375 doesn't have the spacer.
M-70's come in 3 action lengths. Super short for the WSSM's, Short for 308 length and WSMs, and a Standard length for the 270's through 416 Magnums. On the 300 Weatherby mags (not 300 Win Mags) through the 416's the rear receiver ring is shorter to allow for a longer ejection port.
If you change from a magazine with a spacer to one without, you will also need to change the ejector and bolt stop................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dj do the mags have the same width at the front? Since my problem is actually the width where the top of the box is folded slightly this does not allow the rounds to stagger properly, one round in the box is ok but the second doesn't hold, it pops out. Do the magnum boxes also maintain this fold at the top? I belive that if this top section was removed or straightened then the rounds could be held properly by the rails. I should mention that the new caliber is no longer based on the 270/06 case but on the 404 Jeff case. Am I correct in my thinking?
Thanks
bigbull

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd start by getting a mag box for a 300 Rem Ultra Mag (404 based)

If your new cartridge is shorter than 3.360-ish, you may need to add a spacer to the rear, but try it as is first.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bigbull,

The 270 magazine has the upper lips bent inward. This is to create the correct stack under the feed lips of thr receiver for feeding. It sounds as though a magazine for the standard lenght magnum calibers would work for you. (7mm Rem mag, 300 Win mag) They have straight walls and will give you a wider stack under the receiver feed lips which would probably prevent the rounds from popping out.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McCray nailed it. I have both and that is the fix Smiler

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Bull:

Check out http://www.wyattsoutdoor.com and see what he has for the model 70 magazine boxes... Kevin sells them thru Brownells, Midway and direct....

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
bigbull