THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Got all the cosmoline out with whiting. Now how do I get the whiting out?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got all the cosmoline out with whiting. Now how do I get the whiting out?
 Login/Join

<JJohnston>
posted
I'm cleaning up an '03 Springfield. I used whiting from Brownell's to suck all the old oil & cosmoline out of the stock (worked pretty well, putting it out in my car all day where it gets nice and hot). Now all the little open grain cells on the surface are full of whiting. How do I get it clean enough to start putting the new oil on?

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Wash with acetone or other good solvent and scrub with a soft brush. Work from one end to the other.

Or...just send all your stuff to me...I'll take care of it...YEAH that's right...send it to me... [Smile]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
from here, you can go get a can of cirti-strip and the "deactivator", a 1" square cheap scrub brush and HEAVY rubber gloves... unless you like "fight club" scars all over your hands

follow the directions on the can, which go something like this

1: liberally coat the stock with the striper (always a good plan, heh)
2: wait 20 mins
3: wipe it down with paper towels
4: repeat 1-3
5: wash off with cool water
6: apply deactivator
7: sand to taste
8: oil

I did this last with an m14 stock, out of one of those barrels of oils soaked stocks. 45 mins later, I had a clean, bare stock, all the oil and finish gone.

try it.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
Is there a better way to get the stripper off without using water? I know alot of people go to great lengths to get/keep H20 out of the wood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a good air compressor and a gun for it you can blow the stripper off, but I wouldn't suggest it. It's extremely messy and you get the stripper all over everything. Just wash it down with water, then put the stock in a nice dry place for a couple of days and you'll be fine.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote