New
Find
Notify
Tools

Center alignment scope bases ?.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering how " Gunsmiths " Professionals , center scope bases for drilling in receivers or custom made bases ?.

Align with receiver and bore or one but not the other ?.

What's the quickest easiest method for finding and marking center of bores on the receiver , so as to lay out for base holes ?.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I center on the bolt bore, using a precision fitted mandrel to locate center. The mandrel extends some distance out the front of the receiver and out the back. If it's a round receiver, it sits in precision "V" blocks on the milling table and if it's a flat base, it sit's on precision parallels.

You could use a parallel clamp to hold the scope base in position and square to the bottom flat, but that would only work if the curvature of the receiver were concentric and aligned to the bolt bore. I prefer to use the bolt bore mandrel.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I use a Bridgport mill with readouts....sweep center with my indicol or use an edge finder...center drill/drill/tap.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you WestPac ; Now what if one has a lets use a Complete K98 or model 48 and wants to Glue on bases rather than drill and tap those vintage weapons .

How does one go about aligning base receiver holes so as to center them on a completed weapon ?.

I made a set of arched bases they fit the curvature of the receiver , there is a difference in height between the front and rear of those receivers . I over came that by making ( Two sets ) top ones are slightly less in over all length but match the radius, If you will of the first or Base mount , it will be adhered to the receiver via epoxy . The second set will also be epoxied but will have holes drilled and tapped for setting rings to .

ALL of this is for a friends Military Rifles he wishes to shoot with scopes to see What their really capable of .

I made the bases and will supply the epoxy , but don't have any knowledge or experience in attaching them in alignment with Bolt or bore !.

I didn't know if there was some trick tool or what . I know they make drilling templates or Jigs for certain application mounts .

Being a Jury Rigged Home made job , I didn't think was feasible to acquire any template for it .

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If you are not going to screw them to the receiver, then you can hold them in place using parallel clamps. You verify the set up by placing one jaw of your calipers on the flat of the receiver, and the other across the top of the base. This will tell you real fast if they are out of whack.

I don't know if I would feel comfortable with an epoxy only joint. But that's just me. Big Grin

Here is a company that makes scope mounts for military weapons that don't require drilling and tapping so nothing is altered. http://www.scopemounts.com/

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree if I hadn't done this before . Epoxy the proper kind of epoxy is tenacious stuff and holds like a weld . Advantage no screwing up that vintage metal . Nor do you have to alter the stocks . S&K requires stock modifications . I've check everybody that I could think of .

He doesn't hunt only bench rest and load develops . So I see no harm in letting him place a scope on some of these OLD war horses and shoot them .

I wouldn't recommend epoxy mounts on any weapon say for maybe varmint shooting or rim fire target shooting .

If you don't have a mill , it's tough to make mounts for weapons that never were intended to have them put on . ( Can't just go buy them either ) I thank you all for the input and will pass it along .

As I've told everybody I'm NO Smith and never pretended to be . So I'll provide his bases and epoxy but that's where I draw the line .

On my stuff well that's a different horse !.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I don't use no drill mounts so I don't know what S&K mounts require. Out of curiosity, what type of epoxy are you using?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I normally use Devcon also Lords and Hysol , 3 M .

I have also used Loctite BlackMax with limited success .

Hysol® E-30CL Epoxy Adhesive Ultra Clear

WestPac ; Anything you need in the way of adhesives along with other items can be found at these sites . If they don't have it or your not sure of what to use . Just ask me and I'll be more than happy to give you my recommendations !.

This applies to all , but the GunSmiths are priority ONE !. As they have been so good to all of us in helping anyone who asked for it !.

http://www.ellsworth.com/Home.html

People are surprised to find out just how MANY products are available .

When you start looking into Sika , Bostik , CRL and Cotronics , it really becomes A-Z full spectrum !.

http://www.sikaconstruction.com/

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/

http://www.bostik-us.com/index.asp?fa=home

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/showLine.asp?Gro...&Path=::17381::19747

It kept me busy for near 15 years learning formulating for several of these different company's !.

If the need should ever arise for an out side adhesive say on deck railing that has wood splice cuts , I fully recommend Sika 291 or 3M 5200 . Compression +50% elongation -400% without bond failure !!. " Thank You Dr. K " As it was once my specialty . "stock in trade if you will ".
Which carried over into the urethane coatings market . Flexural toughness yet surface hardness .

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Thanks! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my rifles I always have the action surface ground (about $100), then the bases fitted also...the idea is to get everything square to the world...then when you use QD type rings they will return to exact zero if done properly..It's the only way I know to get that accurate return short of luck!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
On my rifles I always have the action surface ground (about $100), then the bases fitted also...the idea is to get everything square to the world...

Most discriminating shooters would.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Iron Elite scope mounts? If it is a mauser with straight or bent bolt. It is a cantilever mount that replaces the rear sight. Their web site has been down but have heard they are still in business. Phone # is: 630.834.1202

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that the jerk who advertises in Shotgun News ?.

Calling that number is a Joke , as it's never answered . I doubt if that person is still in business !.

The entire point of Making a Base mount and epoxying it on to these particular weapons , is so as not to alter stocks or actions . ( They have collecting value some near irreplaceable ! ).

This friend has been collecting vintage war relics from 1870's - and has been doing so since 1957 through - still !.

I venture to say without exaggeration he has acquired near 300 rifles even he doesn't know how many pistols ALL OF WHICH WORK !.

I wouldn't even venture a guess as to parts pieces or busted ones he has !!.

He has some of the rarest Mauser's , 03's Arisaka's , Lebel's , Enfields , Garand's on & on . He has two storage lockers of Papers Flags Fliers helmets maps and Miscellaneous WW 1 & 2 stuff .

HE NEVER SELLS ONLY BUYS !.

He and Edmond would be insuperable if they were EVER TO GET TOGETHER !.

He is of German decent and is more knowledgeable on the Great war's history's than anyone I've ever known !. Did I mention he has near 200 books on the Wars alone !. Archive film footages of actual battles DVD'S VHS Tapes Europe and the Pacific theaters .

He likes to Reload and shoot . Often making his own brass cases and bullets for some of that off the wall older stuff he still shoots .

He is an Enigma out of Time !.

But a better friend no one has ever had !.

I've been his close friend for over 40 years and he is 11 years my senior . Very mechanically minded individual .

Loves to fish no hunting but will shoot when ever where ever with near anybody anytime . He Will share reloading Data which he has written down for over 50 years ! , for near anything that has been made !.

He asked me to help and I've done what I feel comfortable with , now I've asked others who are more knowledgeable in these areas .

I do appreciate all of your replies !. Thank You .