Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mark X Mauser Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
The 1 Mark X I had knocked the safety to the "on" position everytime I shot it. One of my JC Higgins had a Mark X trigger in it for awhile too. It was a piece of crap as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Mark-X since 1977, and have been happy with it. I can't comment on the trigger and safety because I had a tang safety Canjar trigger installed as the rifle was being built.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Gentry, Dakota and PMS (among others) make 3-position safeties for the Mark X. Installed, the safety will cost about $200. Installation of the 3-position safety on a Mark X usually requires grinding the sear area of the striker. This is not a job for an amateur, and is the reason I had Gentry install the safety.

Were I you, I would use the rifle for a while. If at some point you become unhappy with the function of the safety, then consider a change. Before I switched to the Gentry safety, I tried a Timney trigger w/ safety. As mentioned above, I had to do some grinding on the trigger guard. I wasn't happy with the short throw of the timney safety, plus it had a tendency to go off "safe" if you pulled the trigger several times while the safety was engaged.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
Since there has been so much interest in this post about the Mark X I thought I would provide this link.
Charles Daly. I'm pretty sure that this is the same as the old Inter Arms Mark X. I know that a few years ago that C D was importing these rifles but had to stop because of the hole Bosnia thing. I think it is straight now.
God Bless
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Wow. I only paid $225 for the whole rifle. I'm thinking maybe the gun is not worth putting $200 worth of gunsmithing into. So, is the stock (adjustable) trigger no good, either?

This thing came with a cheap Ramline stock, also. Of course, that has to go...

Is this thing worth putting the money into to make it a decent field gun? Not a custom job, just something durable and reliable. It's in mint shape.

It needs a stock, maybe a trigger and safety. Maybe I should just sell it and get a Win. M70 or Ruger 77 and call it a day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Scott

Posts: 52 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 1977 the bare receiver was selling for $125.
You can use the rifle as is for a while, and change out the parts you don't like later as time/money allows, and you will still have a rifle to use the whole time.
The total cost will be about the same as a new rifle, but the new one will only be a Mauser wanna-be not the real thing, and once you buy a new rifle you will still find things you want to change/improve on it also (more $).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got 3 Mark X and or Whitworths and they are great rifles. As for the safeties, I don't use them. I leave the chamber empty until I get ready to fire, the clear the chamber. The only safety you can count on is keeping the chamber empty until you fire, then keep your finger off the trigger until you can make a killing shot.

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tailgunner, just take it out and shoot the darn thing. Don�t worry about the stock, safety or trigger unless they become a problem that needs attention. When I first acquired my Mk X, it had the original safety, single stage trigger and a Ramline stock. In that form, it would shoot �� groups. If the safety hadn�t of caused me grief, I probably wouldn�t have changed anything.

If you�re second-guessing your decision to buy the rifle, you can put it up for sale in the �Classified� portion of this forum and get your money back.

If you choose to keep the rifle and improve it, don�t hesitate to PM or email me if you have questions.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. Great advice. I guess I'll just try it as-is and change things as I go along as you all have suggested.

Thanks again,
Scott

Posts: 52 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you decide to dump it please contact me. I happen to like the x's and also shoot two Whitworths in 375 and 458. Don't judge them all by bad experiences. Have a good gunsmith look yours over and then shoot it some. You may be surprised.
Best of luck,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote