New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 81 Rem.
 Login/Join

<Fuzz>
posted
I would like to separate the inter and outer barrels.This hasn't been done in the last 67 years. It looks like after you remove the barrel assembly you would need a spanner wrench to removethe end cap at the muzzle? Also is the spring under any tension?
Thanks Fuzz

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a special wrench that hooks into those two opposing slots on the cap. And yes it is under pressure, pretty good pressure I've been told (note that it isn't first hand experience). The M8 I own was so disassembled in 1950 or so. Then over 30 years old there was no rust, etc. It will remain assembled until such time as a problem arises.

May I ask why you want to disassemble?

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
Hobie,
The last time I cleaned it I pulled back on the barrel to oil it and a fir needle and some crud fell out. I want to clean it up real good and refinish the stock. I might try to get one more deer with it in memory of my Dad then retire it.
Fuzz

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I just had my M8 out to refresh my memory and I can't see how, given that everything fits properly, a fir needle could get inside the jacket. Are you sure that is where it came from? Now you've got my interest up!

I think that you can make a wrench out of some angle iron and maybe somebody sells one (probably really proud of it too).

I also hunt with mine to hunt with Dad. It was his gun, Grandfather's and Dad's Uncle George's (Grandfather's brother) gun and was purchased new by George.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fuzz, I took a snug fitting box end wrench and drilled a small hole straight through it the same size as the pin holes on the bbl nut. Two wraps of electricians tape protects the blueing. Use two small drift punches that fit the holes in the wrench and the bbl nut to act as pins to turn it off. The inner barrel will depress to below the level of the big screw slots use an appropriate tool to turn the screw out. I had a piece of metal that I filed to fit the slots. There are some powerful springs in there so wear safety glasses. You will be amazed at how small the actual barrel itself is. Find an exploded view drawing of the whole works before attempting this. Study it before doing anything. I do a detail strip of mine every couple years. It was my grandfathers and I love to hunt with it.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote