THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Siamese mauser action to a .50 Alaskan bolt gun, what's involved?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Siamese mauser action to a .50 Alaskan bolt gun, what's involved?
 Login/Join

<BMG>
posted
I'm thinking of a .50 Alaskan in a bolt gun, and the Siamese mauser looks like it will fit the bill (if not, what do you recomend?).

I am by no means a gunsmith and would need a smith for the job. I would supply them with the action, barrel, and unfinished stock.

I am just looking for a list of what would need to be done and a rough cost. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Having built a 45-70 on a Siamese Mauser, I can't reccomend against it strongly enough! While the 348 Rim would probably be a better fit than the 45-70, the feeding,ejecting and barrel fitting issues are considerable and will cost you plenty. If you are dead set on using a Siamese Mauser, I would reccomend looking at the 405 winchester. This round would at least fit this action better. You will need a real good gunsmith for this project in any event. Find someone who has actually worked on a Siamese Mauser not just read about it. Good Luck-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BMG, call Harry McGowen at McGowen Rifle Barrels in St Anne, Ill. He'd know for sure and if it can be done and they are capable of doing it.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
BMG,

I would think that the rim diameter of the parent .348 case would be darn close to the bolt body diameter. In other words, I don't think you or any one could make it feed properly. Then again, I'm sure with enough money, a welder and a cutting torch, you could probably make it feed 50 BMG. :P

Seriously, does anyone have the bolt body dimentions for the siamese? I've always wanted to play around with a bolt action chambered for a slow, heavy lead-bulleted cartridge.

Thanks,

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and and practice , practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
I've got both a Siamese at home and a copy of DeHaas' Bolt Action Rifles which I believe will list this dimemsion. You may have the latter of the two allowing you to find out before I can get home and back to a cornputer Happy Holidays! JeffP

<Pfeifer>
posted
Bolt diameter is .700" per Frank DeHaas' Bolt Action Rifles - jp