New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laminate Stocks and moisture
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How well do laminate stocks hold up to moisture? I frequently hunt elk in when it's snowing. If the snow is heavy my rifle gets pretty wet. Will a laminate hold up to this type of weather without shifting point of aim?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the stock is sealed properly inside and out you should have no problems. - John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless Ruger 77MkII with a laminated stock, and hunt in anything from very dry outback Oz to very wet semi rainforest in South East Queensland, to snow in the Southern Alps - the sling swivels are a bit rusty, but the POI hasn't changed.

The rifle gets wiped down with a dry cloth when I get back to camp, but nothing more than that.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a good waterproof finish they work as well as fiberglass it seems..I would suggest a low gloss polyurathane finish on them..

Properly finished and maintained good wood has never been a problem with my rifles and they have been about everywhere...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote