THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Closing the bolt face on a model 70 classic?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We all know that model 70 bolt faces can be opened. Can they be bushed or by some other method be made to accomodate a smaller case head?

This relates to another question that I had about building a lefty 22-250 on a model 70 action. Winchester does offer a left handed short action, finally, but it is built to accomodate their WSM line of cartridges. Hence, the bolt face will be too large for the 22-250. Can it be done?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
It would be difficult to do this. You would have to put a bead of weld around the 'horseshoe' shape of the bolt face, then machine it to the proper dimension and then heat treat it back to where you started.
Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
actually, there's another way...I have a book that shows how to convert a M98 Mauser to .222....

It's a god aweful lot of work!!! including...naaw don't ask!!!

Winchester does make a CRF short action left hand for the 7-08, .308, .358, etc...not the .22-250 which would require only rebarreling.....with a $2,700 entrance fee, it might not be your cup of tea.

Here's the website:
http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=944&cat=001C

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, yea I have seen those Winchester CS rifles. Maybe it will lead to factory offerings?

For that price I'll hire Bill Leeper to build me a bolt .

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might consider a standard length action and just put a block plate in the mag. mucho cheaper....
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless the rifle is going to be a lightweight I would not trouble myself over the long action/short action debate. The M70's bolt is so easy to operate that such small differeneces are not noticed by me. Again some say the short action is in theory more accurate. Maybe, but not in my observation.

I have an old M70 that was rebarreled from 243 Win to .220 Swift. It feeds perfectly. I would chamber for that cartridge as my first choice in a long barreled .224". If it were a new barrel then I would select 1-12"

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Chuck
Have you tried Winchester for a new bolt? Even a right hand bolt would be good. Have a good smith cut it off about an inch or so behind the lugs and then weld to your left hand handle. At least I think it would work.

But if it were me I would at least try epoxy. Maybe under cut the shoulder a little and rough up the bolt face a little under the shoulder area so the epoxy will get a good hold.

You could also use solder in much the same way I think.

If any of these ideas make me sound like a dumb arse, well there worth exactly what you have paid. Plus welding a bead like has already been suggested is about all the options you have.

Good luck
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote