Notify
Tools

The Best Sporting Rifle Action.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael_Greene
posted
Please have fun with this.

When I was growing up; the two actions considered first for the heart of a new “custom” rifle were the Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester, and one of the Commercially manufactured Mausers like the M-1950 FN or if you were up for it some version of the K98(battle rifle action).

There was NO “Post-64 M-70” at that time and the FN Supreme was just starting to become available. (With its SIDE Sheet Metal Safety).

These actions just arn't around any longer - - - SO!

Please see my rifle pictures below.

The questions to you today are:

PART ONE:
THE BEST SPORTING RIFLE ACTION AVAILABE TODAY IS?

If you were going to start on a brand new sporting rifle today what action would you choose?
(NO ACTIONS WHICH ARE NOT BEING CURRENTLY PRODUCED PLEASE.)

Why choose that action?
AND OR;
What are the detracting features of the other actions.

Lets leave PRICE out of this for now.
If the action is only available as a complete rifle DO NOT disqualify it.

PART TWO:
CHOOSE TODAY'S BEST ALLAROUND CARTRADGE FOR NORTH AMERICA.

Thank you.

RifleBuilders.com
info@riflebuilders.com

Michael Greene

Posts: 50 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life's too short to get into this again

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TO: SDH

Steven, I am glad that none of us indulge our selves with unabashed self-promotion.

That is a truly beautiful rifle.
riflebuilders.com

Michael Greene

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Life's too short to get into this again

And it's been gotten into here over, and over, and over, and..., well, you get the idea.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 10/22

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man! Is it my Mossberg 22 or my H&R single shot shotgun. I used to just drool at the pawn and gunshops just touching them.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riflebuilders.com:
TO: SDH

Steven, I am glad that none of us indulge our selves with unabashed self-promotion.

That is a truly beautiful rifle.
riflebuilders.com

Coming from a guy who uses the URL of his website as his screen name?

Big Grin Wink Cool

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I luv ya Jason!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
but WHAT IS THE TRUTH ABOUT STOPPING POWER?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
but WHAT IS THE TRUTH ABOUT STOPPING POWER?

My car stops real fast............that is the truth!

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I luv ya Jason!
Butch

The feeling's mutual.

We have to remember to laugh once in a while, least the forum becomes too serious...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger 10/22

X2

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
AR-15 stir

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should try a simpler question as it seams that we can't stay on subject.

I happen to agree that the Ruger 10/22 & the AR-15 (and clones) are the two most popular actions to play with.

HOWEVER, I wanted to know about "Center Fire" Turn Bolt Actions and Cartridges.

So if you "Learned Gentlemen" don't mind, could we try again?

Thank you.
Riflebuilders.com

NOTE:
"One of the hardest things for an adult mail to say is: I DON'T KNOW." Red Green

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Did you just recently find out about the internet?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please have fun with this.

Remember, you asked for it. Big Grin

The best sporting rifle action is one that doesn't have a welded bolt handle.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:

NOTE:
"One of the hardest things for an adult mail to say is: I DON'T KNOW." Red Green

One of the hardest things for an adult mail to say is: I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPELL.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Well, I am not a veteran here so here goes.

I would choose a Winchester classic for all calibers up top 30' 06 and similar sized cases & the WSMs.

I would go to the Montana actions for the larger calibers including 9.3X62, up to 416 Rigby. I am not interested in bolt guns of larger caliber.

If I won Lotto next month I would go for Magnum Mauser actions made by few elite gunmakers.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr. Greene:

I have perused a few of your posts here on the AR Forum.

What is your goal in asking these questions?

Advertising?

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
...he has not yet learned the AR culture and the AR heirarchy.

Which is based on a post-count meritocracy. Wink

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could build my gun, it would be a left-handed Nesika Bay Hunter action with a Krieger barrel in a laminated thumbhole stock. 300WSM caliber. Stainless action and barrel. Precision trigger...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the differences and/or similarities between the Hagn and the Dakota M10?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, in part, becasue AR is faceless and for the most part nameless. Some people tend to use Ad Hominem argument in those instances. Its much easier to say things about others that have no basis in fact with the intention of winning the argument by submitting the other to public ridicule.

The internet has created countless opportunities for anonymous social interaction, (an oxymoron in itself...) where none existed before. I think it would make for a fascinating social experiment to test individual reactions to differing social stimuli in face-to-face versus on-line interactions. I'm sure more than a few grad students have already done something along these lines.

P.S. In keeping with the original question of the thread:

Part I - Since it was clearly stated to NOT consider price, my dream ticket would be a Satterlee Mauser.

Part II - That's easy, 30-06.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael is a retired gunsmith and retired stock duplicator machine maker. As such, he has a bit more time on his hands now , and has done what everybody else who comes here has done, which is to seek out others to converse about his love of guns, hunting, and shooting.

Nevertheless, he has not yet learned the AR culture and the AR heirarchy.

He is learning it now (the hard way).

Hang in there Michael. AR is unlike many other gun and shooting related sites. You will eventually find that many here on AR are extremely knowledgeable gun nuts. You will also find that many here have very strong opinions and don't like to be told things they already know. This is in at least one respect because many of the folks who come here are extremely successful in their own realm. Some have very large egos, and in a few cases justifiably so. Some are legends, but only in their own minds.

One thing you do not want to do is take positions opposite of what you really believe in order to "stir things up". You will lose your credibility which will result in your not being taken seriously. That doesn't mean you have to settle for being totally reactive instead of proactive when you interact here on AR. If necessary, you can politely ask those who don't like you to put you on ignore so they don't have to read you, or you can put them on your ignore so you don't have to read them. Another tactic would be to slow down and learn the AR culture. If you do you will end up getting a lot of pleasure conversing with these guys.

And finally, although none of us are very good at it, remember that one of the best ways to get someone to stop laughing at you is to laugh with them.

Good luck.

22WRF, that's one of the best posts I've seen, especially from you. Big Grin Wink I see that you have lots of posts. About what point did you learn this - 5,000 + or - ? For me, I have nearly 2,000 posts, and I think I'm just now getting it, after pissing off several, including you at least once. Maybe I'm a slow learner. Big Grin

So, to answer the question, which is open to opinion, considering value for the dollar, IMO the CZ 550 medium action is a top contender. To me, the definition of "best" includes many factors, and not just the best without regard to cost.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best action?
New Model 70 out of Columbia, SC.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
satterlee
35 whelen (ackley improved maybe)

yes, many threads can be searched and re-read. I often do that and resurrect or start a new one if what I was interested in finding out wasn't satisfied. we have lots f OLD high post count members that don follow AR conventions as many of us would see them. but they are either above reproach, have enough buddies, or just plain don't care, and get away with it. I have guys on that've been on my ignore list for years and are still here. they are just the right size asshole to not be liked but not get banned.

I don't get from the tone of his posts that the OP is trying to start shit so much as spark discussions he wants to have.

I also want to point out that rather than bragging about their counts a lot of people should be embarassed. and when I see a post by somebody I'm not sure I like and don't recognize the poster, I look at their recents. there have been members with very low post counts that have contributed more than guys with over 10k (I.e. Tom burgess).

and I'm not sure any posts in the political forum should count. in fact, maybe they should count against

to the OP, if you feel like saying something about a poster that you feel go ahead. nobody should be offlmits to criticism no matter how many fans they have Here (or in some cases even if they're a moderator Wink ). be ready for backlash but remember IMO usually there are as many people on BITH sides of the aisle on here but the ones chuckling at your posts probably won't stand up for your comment.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
Their isnt just one perfect rifle or action i have been trying to find it, but if I had to build one rifle and use it for everything on the planet and not have the ability to get new parts or new bbls, or Obama banned guns and what you had before is all you get to keep

338 Lapua
stiller tac 338 action(tig welded bolt handle, dual plunger ejector)
HS stock (old style sendero)
CG jackson 2 stage tactical for durability(and use for dangerous game)
Rock Creek 5r cut bbl #5.5
my muzzle brake
2 scopes
12-42x NF titanium NF rings
1-6z6 titanium NF rings

I could kill anything with this rifle. gophers to elephants. I wouldnt want to take a charge with it but it would handle buff or ele as good as any 375, if shot placement is correct. I would have long range ability, end of world capability, defending my compound.

I dont need CRF I only carry a CRF for style purposes, because I am using a center feed magazine the round is locked in and controled more than any CRF unless you have a CRF with center feed. the bolt is far enough fwd by the time the round releases no chance of a round poping out. This gun will feed any way and upside down hanging from a tree if I had to. I would improve the ejection, I wish I had a mauser style ejector and maybe I would make one, because plunger ejectors are the weak part of push feeds more so than claw vs M 16 extractor, with a second plunger ejector I should not have a problem feeding and ejecting anywhere anytime even loaded rounds in case of a dud,

second choice is a GMA, OR SATTERLEE in the same caliber but I think they would bust my weight limit of 8lbs and Iam not sure about the titanium satterlee for long range in temp extremes? would it move scope impact? (wish I had one) with the gma, and satterlee the extractor would be a weak point if it broke and I could not get a new one.
I could make a new M16 extractor even a new cocking piece and shroud if I had nothing but time with a hand drill and file, if it failed (kind of hard to make a new claw extractor) and a mauser style shroud by hand

I might build a second barrel or more in the same bolt face, one in 500 jeffery with sights for a switch bbl set up. i could change with a simple bench vise and keep one action for the rest of my life and do anything with it

STILLER TAC338

and yes I am building this it just seems someone always talks me out of it before I get it done.

I am sure there will be skeptics but I think I have answers to everyone of there complaints, why this is the best readily available action

almost forgot yes 338 lapua best N. american cartridge hands down it kills everything effectively and at distance if an emergency

assuming no ammo shortages just one action one rifle hunting/maybe defending if it comes down to it.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
I am sure most of the negative posters are just afraid to post there ideas, other than just trash talk to add to there number of post without showing how little they actually know, and drawing negative attention to themselves, they are worried about staying cool on AR its just like a virtual High School

Mike Greene has been in this business for a long time and knows what he is talking about, sure hes having fun because he just discovered AR and is now RETIRED(not advertiseing never has advertised more than a basic website) so he has time on his hands to play around if you dont like dont read it, go read HOW GAY IS TOO GAY TO HUNT AFRICA! its perfect for you, you dont have to think at all, just comment

All his topics have been very good discussions and meant to make you think. Some very intellegent people had to think about his last few questions very hard and do some real research to answer.

Dont complain about a mispelling on a chat forum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say Saterlee actions since they make Ti, stainless, and steel CRF actions and no weld bolt handles. 300 Win mag. JMHO

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
22wrf

I dont come to AR to gain credibility or gain business, I come here to learn from others first hand experience, I read a lot more than I comment on and when I comment I tell the truth to the best of my knowledge, express MY OPINION and I defend my friends, friends are way more important to me than the internet. When it comes to "virtual high school" that has nothing to do with AR itself or the good discussion, just the negative posters without reason, or as in high school it has nothing to do with the school just some of the students. If others choose to ignore thats fine not all of us will get along, and they have a button made just for that, just a click a way