New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger guard replacement
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How tuff is it to replace the trigger guard an a mil 98 bottom metal. Not the whole bottom metal, just the trigger guard. And does anyone sell an after market trigger guard?
Thanks
Mike Allred

Mike Allred

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I actually sawed the guard bow off a 98 and drilled and tapped a hole for a shotgun trigger guard and inletted rear into pistolgrip and attached with a wood screw as on some shotguns. Actually LOOKED pretty good. I think guard came from Numrich. This was many years ago. This was done while I was in hi-school. The stock was a semi-inlet from Herters. Made a pretty good 8mm sporter. Action was a byf 41 and I later had it barreled to 257Robts with a Pfieffer barrel and took the barreled action to Gunsmith school with me as my first project. Long ago.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

You can get a surplus tigger guard from a number of sources for used surplus mauser parts. Be sure to get one the same length, the guards with locking scres are a bit longer than the ones without.

try Centuryarms.com; http://www.centuryarms.com/store/index.php?cPath=37_58

Numrich:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1780z98

Bobs;
http://www.gun-parts.com/mauser/

or go to e-bay and search for mauser trigger guard. You will find a ton of them.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to replace the whole unit, aftermarket parts from Sunny hill or Blackburn Machine are real nice units, but spendy. If you want to use the original floorplate, you are limited to the military surplus parts.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It takes a bit of tweaking here and there but you can also convert a 1903 Springfield unit to fit 98’s. You have to narrow the back of the box a bit and you have to deal with the canted rear screw hole, but I have seen several rifles that had it done and it looks really nice.

Without wanting to start a big debate how often do you really need a hinged floorplate anyway? Yes they are nice, yes they are a bit handier to operate, but are they a “have to have?â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cedarmtmike:
How tuff is it to replace the trigger guard an a mil 98 bottom metal. Not the whole bottom metal, just the trigger guard. And does anyone sell an after market trigger guard?
Thanks
Mike Allred

do you weld?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I weld. And I access to Mig machine. Am not concerned about hinged floorplate(nice but not a have to item), just want mil bottom metal to look better. Really just attempting to replce trigger bow.
Mike Allred

Mike Allred

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Sunny Hill also makes a Mauser bow. Midway sells them for about $45 bucks. If you are a welder it shouldn’t be a big deal to install it in your guard.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone
Mike Allred

Mike Allred

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new bow here that is very much in the shape of a blackburn trigger bow. PM me with your address and I will send it to you. You will have to thin it down quite a bit and polish it before you weld it on. ONly thing I would ask in return is that you take a photo of it when you are done and show it to us here on AR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone
22wrf PM sent
Mike Allred

Mike Allred