Find
Notify
Tools

How to steps?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Could someone offer me the steps on how to convert an action with a .473 boltface to a .532 boltface? The action does not yet have a barrel. Further, let's assume the new round will fit the current magazine box.

Thanks

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could someone offer me the steps on how to convert an action with a .473 boltface to a .532 boltface?

I send mine to "Too Manytools"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the conditions you stated, the only real step is to open up the bolt face on a lathe.

Then barrel and headspace, plus reshape extractor. Possible feed lip mods. Your question is a bit open ended...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks. yes, open-ended because i must admit to not knowing much. i have sent the action in question to toomanytools but he is a busy man and i do not need to inundate him with these basic questions so i ask here.

essentially i am thinking of having the action converted from 30 06 size to accomidate a 375 ruger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You actually didn't give us very much info and that makes it hard to respond. What receiver do you have and what is your ultimate goal. You are sending it to a good guy.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Don't take this the wrong way but if you can't look at the bolt face an know what needs to be done you shouldn't attempt it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRC 1999 SS LH action. kc, i definitely would not attempt such an action or any gunsmithing at all. just trying to know how it all works.

i'd like to build an all weather NA cartridge and the 375 ruger fits that description. i plan to use synthetic stock and use backup iron sights in addition to a scope.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Ok then
Strip bolt.
Place in lathe chuck. indicate to center.
Using the appropriately shaped and sized tool cut bolt face to new diameter and take cleanup cut across face.
Set up bolt in mill and relieve opening for proper feeding. Could also be done with files by hand if done with care.
Deburr and your done with the bolt face.

Shape extractor to new case head. Hand fit and stone to shape.
Polish if nedeed.

That's the short of it.

Get the book riflesmithing by Jack Mitchell

It will show you everything you need to know about basic riflesmithing. A very good book.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you kc