Notify
Tools

DIY stock painting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys,

Did a search on stock painting threads, but they all date back to the days of Adam & Eve (I know, bit of an exaggeration, last one was 2007).

What I wanted to do was show some pictures of the stock I've painted in case anyone on the forum is looking for ideas. Anyone can do this, it is really easy dancing

The stock is a Hi Tech Specalties for my 6.5 RSAUM (see my thread in Custom Rifles). I didn't want the stock to be Duracoated or Cerakoted because i wanted a textured finish, I really like the webbing type finish that you see on alot of custom rifles.

Luckily for me, I found a store here in Auckland that stocks the Krylon Fusion camoflage spray paints, and an art store that sells the Krylon Webbing paint (now called marbelizing paint). I was going to use the Krylon olive, black and Khaki to make a 3 colour sponge type camoflage (the sort on the Manners stocks). However after laying down the ovlive, then the black webbing over the top, I was more than happy with the result.

Once the stock has been painted, I left the stock for 5 days for the Krylon Fusion to properly cure (it reaches full chip resistance within 7 days). However, from a number of different discussions on the internet, the next step is a clear coat over the top.

Krylon also do a matte clear, however I didn't want to go spraying the stock with it until I worked out how hard it was going to dry and whether an automotive type clear coat would be more durable. So I made up a small test board, and applied the paint and webbing finish onto this.

Figuring that more coats of clear is the way to go, I slowly applied 8 coats over the top of the paint, hitting each one with a heat gun. The matt clear has darkened up the olive slightly and looks good.

I then left over night and checked this morning. What I have wound up with is a very low sheen finish that has dried very hard. Its impossible to scratch with my finger nail. I ran the tip of my car keys over the surface with a reasonable pressure and even this wont scratch the surface.

I think the key to getting the hard finish is to apply heat. When I clear coat the stock, I am going to build a heat box using halogen lamps to bake the clearcoat.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks good so far.
I'm interested in the rest, since I'm going to paint a stock similar to this.
and cera-coat the metal parts in the near future.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your stock looks very nice.This is Krylon Tan Camo and black webbing over wood:

[/url]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm interested in the rest, since I'm going to paint a stock similar to this.
and cera-coat the metal parts in the near future.

Lamar,

I'm clear coating the stock this weekend with the heatbox to help harden the paint. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend.

From what I've seen of my test board, the longer it's left after heat has been applied, the tougher the finish gets.

Like you, I will get all the metal work on the rifle Cerakoted. Just toying up with the idea of getting the barrel fluted. I assembled the barreled action and bottom metal back into the stock (minus recoil pad), but put the bolt into the action and weighed the rifle on the bathroom scales. All up its weighing in at 5.5 lbs, so by the time it's scoped it will weigh just over 6.5 lbs which is not too bad, certainly a lot less than a number of lightweight rifles on the market.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good job.

Posts: 17185 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Great job.

I can see I need to buy a few cans of paint and do some experimenting.

Last one I had custom painted hasn't help up Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote