New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making Pistol Grips, Tools and References
 Login/Join

<Naconah>
posted
I am interested in making pistol grip stocks for revolvers, especially for SW, Colt or Ruger type SA and DA sidearms. I have seen some Ivory micarta and Stag grips that were just awesome. This would serve as a new hobby to keep my mind off my other job. I like working with my hands and have the patience, and eye of a good craftsman.

Do any of you have experience in this endeavor, and so could you suggest appropriate tools and reading material.

Your suggestions and advice will certainly be appreciated and followed.

Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think something along the line of an industiral Dremel tool would be perfect....seen some that hang from a hook with a long flexible shaft....also need a good saw to do the original shaping. I would look into cowboy action shooting sources as those guys go all out for fancy grips.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the dremel idea. I can't live without mine.

One of the local gun shows around my area normally has a table or two that offers for sale blanks of various materials for pistol grips and knife handles. I think Dixie Gun Works might offer these too, but I'm not sure. I've thought about making a set for a Ruger Single Six, but have never gotten around to it. I have, however, cut out and fitted bone nuts for guitars entirely with the dremel. I would guess that it would be one of the primary tools you would be looking for, along with scribes, files, a drill press and a good buffing wheel setup.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Naconah>
posted
Thanks guys, and keep that information coming. What I really need right now is reference material on how to make them and patterns...beats the old trial and error method and I don't like to learn new cuss words or to ruin my good work. I have Dremel tools and I love them. I was wondering if their mortise fixture would serve for cutting the inletting on some of the grips? Can you recommend if lapidiary polishing tools for stag would serve?

I am told to be very careful of polishing dust from Ivory and related materials, such as stag and elkhorn as they will ruin your lungs...polishing needs to be done outside if possible.

Thanks a lot, and I will be happy to show you my work and share experiences.

I do custom gunleather work, and I love working with my hands, and I thought that a grip sideline would compliment my leather work...and you are so right the SA shootists out there go gaw, gaw over good leather, good color case hardening work. and grips!

<JBelk>
posted
Naconah---

It depends entirely on how *many* you want to make.

Herrett's Gun Stocks is only 25 miles from here and they used to make several hundred pairs a week with 80 employees.....they now make gear shift knobs and an occasional pair of grips with 3 employees and a CNC machining center. All the old pantagraghs, auto sanders, and finishers are idle. There's probably 200 machines that are now not used.

Look for a pantagraph used for making smoking pipes, chess sets, and what the furniture company "insets".....carved panels in headboards, etc.

A milling machine will work for inletting but not shaping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from a dremel tool. One thing it can do real fast is ruin the piece of material you are working on. They tend to grab material and go off on their own direction. I use a foredom tool for power for checkering and for some polishing (feed ramps) tasks but not much else.

A panagraph as Jack mentioned would work well. You could also use a jig saw and a vertical drum sander to get them to the correct flat shape and they use a table router with a cove bit to put a nice curve to the edge.

The "ivory" is actually a resin with paper layers, but I would wear a good quality mask.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Naconah>
posted
You guys are just great. And I see some of you are from my former stomping grounds up in the Northwest, where I lived for over 20 years and miss terribly.

Any books or articles that you can recommend? Where would I find the type of small pantograph that you would think appropriate for making small wood items, such as stocks?

I am really interested in this as a small cottage industry to go along with my gun leather work. I have lots of files, rasps, and a good scroll saw and a good bench sander. I will need a drill press and some polishing rigs for the antler and ivory material...I am told lapidiary suppliers may have this for me.

I am really saddened to hear of Herrets decline. I still have some of their figured walnut stocks adorning my guns and cherish them. Perhaps some investors could turn that concern around and make it a go again...there seems to be always new markets developing...like all the cowboy shooters, reenactors, and historical societies demanding recreations of authentic Americana...not to mention sportsmen demanding the best accessories for their guns.

A good book or articles on grip making would help a lot. Anyways, thanks a lot.

Hmmm...by the way, take a look at the work of a custom stocker posted on Marlin talk recently by member Starrbow...got all the boys slavering to stock up their Marlins in gorgeous curly maple...Lol!

Regards,

Naconah

[ 08-23-2002, 03:51: Message edited by: Naconah ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naconah,
I bought a pantagraph 30 years ago from Sears for about $80 and just messed around with it. I finally gave it away about 12 years ago. That one would have been good but probably a bit too loose for what you need. I just checked ebay and couldnt find anything. You might ask what Herrets would let one go for.

Good luck.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote