New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to remove a glued on butt pad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a rifle with a glued on decelerator pad, but need to remove it in order to remove the stock to get the trigger housing out. It needs a trigger job real bad.

The problem is, it is a rather nice and expensive rifle and the LOP was already cut once to install the pad. I am afraid I might damage the wood, particulary the edge, and maybe have to refinish the stock, which I cannot afford to have done. I also do not want to risk having to cut more LOP because there isn't enought stock left for that.

Anybody have any ideas or advice. I know this is a stupid question but I am not a gunsmith.

Thanks in advance, Jeff.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what make and model your gun is but in some cases you can take a hardwood dowell or blade and place it on top and tap it hard and shrear it off..but don't get carried away with the hit...

Better yet let a gunsmith do it, and cut the pad off, file to the wood and install a new pad..that is much less risky...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to take a hobby knife with a real thin, sharp blade. Place it at the toe at the juncture of the pad and stock and tap it lightly throughout the length. Make sure you removed the screws from it first.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is an 1885 Browning Low Wall, that had been refinished with an oil finish.

Thanks for the good advice.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote