Find
Notify
Tools

M70 stock pattern help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
If I have a pattern for a pre-war magnum action. Could that pattern be used for a pre-64 made around 1962? I know the tang would need to be inletted what about the rest?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Your pattern will work as you stated about the tang, there are no other differences other than magazine length.

Posts: 7 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 02 September 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
tu2 Thanks

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably work, but I would sure try it first..Most stylist have patterns and will glass your gun to their pattern and turn it for you for about $150 if you supply the wood..

Is your stock and original win. stock, or your own pattern stock..An original pre war stock can fetch a prett penny these days..Just wondering..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The guys who glass bed your metal and then turn a stock want several times more than $150. That is about the price for duplicating off a common pattern.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My Bad.

I'm sitting here with a late model pre 64 stock that I bought to have as a pattern. But, when it arrived the bedding had been hogged out. I have no action. So I sat it in the corner. Had a customer that liked the outside and wanted a couple. I offered to cut him two for the price of one if he would fully bed my pattern first.

He asked the other day if he could substitute a pre war magnum box action for one of the pair. I told him I would check and see if it could work but only one would be close to a drop in. That probably the pre war would need to be bedded.

As to glass bedding and duplicating for $150 I'll pass. As dpcd said that is darn close to what I get to copy one of my patterns. If someone out there wants to do both for that price I wish them well. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K