New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strandard depth of rifling?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the standard rifling depth for big game calibers? Specifically .35?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.oo4"

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meaning 0.004" per side, or 0.350"/0.358".
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duh! Thanks Joe & Butch

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
And that .004" would be for modern, American-made, barrels.

Metric barrels are slightly fifferent, as are many older American barrels.

Some, particularly in the early U.S. barrels and many British barrels, had tapered groove depths. That is, they were tighter at the muzzle end than at the chamber end ...sometimes by as much as a couple of thousandths. (Or, even more, in some older BP barrels.)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reason I'm asking is I have a gun on 3 day inspection, it was a 30-06 rebored to .35 Whelen and they are telling me when they rebored it that the grooves are .005.

Does that mean the bore is actually .348?

thanks,

Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have somebody check it with a pin gage if you are worried about it.The bore is easy to check and the groove size much more time consuming. Probably pushing a lead slug through it and measuring it would be easiest.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cerrosafe cast of the rifling at the muzzle, or expand a lead slug into it. Driving WILL work if done properly but expanding between 2 close-fitting rods is a little better IMO. Driving against a rod is almost as good as expanding between 2 rods, but I've found that simply driving a slug into the bore can sometimes result in a canted or un-filled-out slug that will always measure smaller than the true dimension.

BTW don't be too concerned if the dimensions are a thou or 2 off, as long as the bore isn't reverse-tapered at the muzzle. Many original 8mm bbls actually measure 0.325"-0.328" in their grooves, especially the 1908 8x56 M-S and the 1888 Commission rifles. I possess one Krieger 7mm bbl that was ordered intentionally with a 0.285" groove size.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I would just call the guy who re-bored it and ask. There is a fellow up in Oregon that does a lot of these '06 to Whelen conversions and advertises 0.005 depth. I think they do this because the Whelens get fed Cast bullets quite a bit and the deeper groove promotes that venture it is said. The below is from their website: 35 cal. ( .359" groove diameter)
http://bellmtcs.com

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There you go, Mike Bellems rebore guy is Jesse Ocumpaugh and he did this gun. I emailed and was told that the grooves were .005. After JD's post it didn't make sense to me that the numbers don't jive.

Kellum does a lot of TC Encore work and that's probably where the cast bullets come in.

Jesse Ocumpaugh's website shows that his .35 caliber rebores have a .349 Bore-.359 groove, so there's the .005 depth of rifling.

Is the over bore size (+.001 over .358) a concern with regular clad bullets?

thanks,

Rob

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
the .001" MIGHT be a concern if you planned to shoot thousands of rounds through it. There is some small possibility of gas leakage around the bullet and maybe some increased gas cutting of the bore by the gases as they speed up in passing the bullet.

But, in fact, for hunting rifles I wouldn't be the least concerned. I have used .223" diameter bullets for many years in some of my hot-loaded .220 Swifts with .224" bores. So far that does not seem to have resulted in any undue wear, and I have shot thousands upon thousands of such rounds in them in aggregate.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If you read Ken Waters' Pet Loads on the 358 Win, he writes of a 358 Mannlicher Schoenauer with .366 (9.3) bore & that rifle shot well even with 0.008" over spec!

The old 6.5X54 Mannlicher Schoenauers (both of mine) have 0.269" grooves rather than the nominal 0.264" (0.005" over spec) and they perform fine. I get 2" to 3" groups with open sights at 100 meters.

You are sure to get good performance in the 35 Whelan as long as the job is done properly.

I wish I could get that reboring service here in New Zealand - my old 30'06 Sako barrel is a prime candidate for a 9.3X62 chambering.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote