Find
Notify
Tools

Bamboo laminated stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Has anyone had made one of Accurate Innovations laminated bamboo stocks? Do you have any comments? Pictures?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I inquired about one of those for my 458 Lott and was told by the owner of the company that he would not recommend a bamboo stock for a 458 Lott. that told me all I needed to know.

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I would still like to see a picture. I have seen ads for Bamboo flooring but have not as yet seen a sample of even a picture. Gun furniture would make an interesting picture.

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bamboo is ok for flooring kind of dull looking plain straight grain , no character though . So what any one would want to use it for stock wise is beyond me . I doubt it has the strength for shock value . I understand why 458 lott or any other bruiser caliber wouldn't work well !.

Look on a National Hardwood Flooring site or visit a retail wholesaler flooring show room and have a peak . I never gave it a second glance as it is uninteresting to me .

I love wood of all kinds . Except for weight there are hundreds of species that have tons of character . I had some Hickory at one time that would have made an excellent stock . It became our coffee table along with Ebony strips and purpleheart scallop borders .

Shoot Straight Know Your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What a great & versital natural material huh? I am wearing a shirt made of bambo as i type this! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
What a great & versital natural material huh? I am wearing a shirt made of bambo as i type this! Big Grin

Doug, don't be skirting the issue. animal

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, Accurate Innovations, in an email touted their bamboo stock as an excellent material for the heavy recoiling rifles. They compared it with scaffolding used in asian countries vs scaffolding of other materials used elsewhere. There was no pic labeled as bamboo on their website. This was the reason I was asking for assistance. I may just go with a standard laminate, but stained in a shade I like.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That should be some really ugly stuff, I guess you could always tie a line and hook, cork and sinker on it and use it to hunt catfish....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Could very well be. That's why I wanted to see one before I agreed to it. The other choice is the thicker laminations of goodlooking walnut made up by Serengeti Stocks.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bamboo in it's natural state and of certain varieties is a strong material .

Remember it's round as well as whole including membrane inside , also how much does the average Asian worker weigh who climbs on the scaffold ?.

It's also real cheap ! , which is exactly why it's used and besides it's rare we over here in the U S hear about Asian building accidents .

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of anything because laminated would be strong enough .

Just have a look see before committing yourselves to buying it !.

I wouldn't because there are so MANY more interesting woods available which have everything a stock should have . Weighty or light weight brown , black , Purple , Green Amber ,light or dark or red or even Pink Ivory wood ( Although heavy ) . I've made my point I'm done .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have emailed them several times and pm'd and asked questions on 24hr (a company rep is a member) about the Bamboo laminate. Never got a response. I'm sure it does exist, but they like to keep the pictures and information very secret.

I can't imagine a bamboo laminate being any uglier than a regular plywood laminate. I was hoping they would be lighter.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I bought a kitchen cutting board made from laminated bamboo. I am happy to report it is excellent for cutting a pizza up! hillbilly

You can get the same one I got at Bed, Bath & Beyond! nilly

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my workbenches is made of laminated bamboo... it's unbelievably 'tough' in that it doesn't compress much at all, is very stiff longitudinally, but less stiff laterally, but seems to absorb and recover from 'shock' impact exceptionally well... I'm happy with it for that purpose, but would I use it as a stock?

Nope.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
... They compared it with scaffolding used in asian countries vs scaffolding of other materials used elsewhere. ...
I've walked and ridden across Bridges made of Bamboo. The riding created an "involuntary grip" on the seat, but we made it just fine. They tied(lashed) those Bamboo Bridges together with some interesting Structural Engineering Designs.

They were also able to create sharp points on smaller Bamboo, flame harden it and create some effective weapons from it.
-----

Quite a unique material. Interesting they don't want to show any examples or answer questions about it on 24hr. Never heard of that kind of a Marketing Ploy. bewildered The new, "Let me sell you something I'm not going to show you or tell you about.", Strategy. bewildered bewildered

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Well, thank you all for your replies. Nope, am not getting laminated bamboo. May get another laminate, though.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member