New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some info/advice on barrel turning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm fairly close to starting to turn/contour my first rifle barrel. I've done a lot of lathe work over the years but, the intricate stuff was 50 years ago.

I just recently turned a blank for a Blackhawk 7 1/2" with the taper just guessed at. It turned out so close it didn't need any touch up by my gunsmith. He's retired enough that he don't want to turn a barrel down or undertake a full rebuild again.

IF I can get it turned and contoured fairly close I believe he'll finish it up for me.

I have a nice 13x40 Enco with two center guides for turning shafts and such. I've never used them and not sure where to start.

Any suggestions on books or where to look for this info would be appreciated.

Thank you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Tool bit grinding is the key issue otherwise it is chatter city.

I use carbide that I custom grind. I will look in my notes for feeds & speeds.

I have turned them down to much smaller diameter than shown with no problems.

Lots of cutting oil!

Sometimes a follower rest is needed:

By center guides do you mean centers for the tailstock and headstock? A photo is worth a thousand words.

Both barrels in the photos are between centers, note the dog for driving the barrels.

Dogs:

A long taper attachment is best, but I have not got around to building one yet. Next on the project list!

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, been late getting back to this as I spent a week in the hospital again.

What I was talking about is the "Follower rest" I have two, never used one or seen them in use until your picture. Thank you sir.

I've wondered how they fastened to the bed, now I see they go on the rest.

I almost always use carbide and self grind them too. Quite often need to touch them up though. Once in awhile I get chatter, good to know what causes that.

For taper, I used the tailstock adjustment. Half turn in 10" made .017" taper. Am unsure how much that would be on a 26" turn. Any info on that would be appreciated too. I'd guess about .040-.050", but, ---?!

Thanks much,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I don't use a taper attachment, just offset the tail stock, making it impossible to use a conventional steady or follow rest. In Mark Stratton's book on setups he has a design for a follow rest that can self-adjust for taper but I never felt I needed anything like that.

I cut using a 5/8" HSS tool, and as has been mentioned already the grind is critical. Speed/feed selection is just as important to smooth cuts. It can take a lot of trial-and-error to get the cut you want. I use a Kool Mist system to keep the barrel cool, helping maintaining constant pressure between centers.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If you're going to turn a barrel by all means use a follower rest.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try turning a tapered conture with a follow rest. That has been tried a time or two! It doesn't work well, turning large to small. Works a bit worse going the other way. Just sayin.
Dontchaknow.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
If you're going to turn a barrel by all means use a follower rest.

Pardon my ignorance, how do you use a follower without making marks on the work?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It's not the marks that are a problem, follow rests most often use a brass nub and any marks are easily removed. The problem lies in the fact that a standard follow rest can't deal with a taper.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
It's not the marks that are a problem, follow rests most often use a brass nub and any marks are easily removed. The problem lies in the fact that a standard follow rest can't deal with a taper.

I took a closer look at the follower on my lathe, it does have brass nubs. They are darkened and don't look like brass from a distance.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote