New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light Weight Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting ready to build me a light weight 308 Win. on a model 70 action. I wont to use a # 1 are #2 conture barrel at 22 inches.Does anyone have any experence on which conture to use? I am only conserned with the first 1 are 2 shot from a cold barrel being accurate.
Thank You

one of us
posted Hide Post
How a barrel shoots COLD, is not a contour question.

Get the one you want, and shoot it dead cold, and "dirty". Just like in hunting conditions.

Each barrel is a law unto itself, be it thick or thin, long or short. Only time and testing will tell how it will shoot.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I have a Win Mag in #1 contour at 23". It's the only rifle I have that shoots the first shot out of a cold clean barrel into a tight group.

I'm building 338 WSM in lighter countour at 22" for a light mountain gun. I agree with Terry that the contour and barrel length have nothing to do with it. Most barrels take a fouler or two for consistency. Just foul the gun after you clean and before you go hunting.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A while back I rebuilt a poorly "bubbaized" 03A3 into a nice sporter. I used a NOS issue barrel and had it recontoured to match the pre 64 Win M70 featherweight configuration, (.535" at the muzzle, oal 22"). It turned out to be one of my favorite rigs. Some say that recontouring a barrel can adversly affect accuracy, but this one shoots very well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote