THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Open sight choices for a 19th-century single-shot

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open sight choices for a 19th-century single-shot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm currently working up a Greener Martini in .577. It has a nice heavy barrel, with flats milled for the rear sight and for a ramp-type front. I have a Standling-leaf express sight on hand for the rear (Gracias, Jeffe), but could use suggestions on a front ramp and sight combination that would not have appeared out of place in the 1880s. Thanks for any thoughts.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I can't help you with ramps for the front sight but here are a few pictures of old Martini sporters. Hope they're of some interest to you.

cheers,

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Stu: Merci viel mal for the wonderful photos. That's a Westley Richards at the top, no? Are these your rifles? If so, would love to hear more about them.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Unfortunately they're not mine. I don't have any details on the bottom one, but the other two from the top are:

WESTLEY RICHARDS IMPROVED MARTINI HENRY SPORTING CARBINE by Adams & Co: .450 1½" case; 22" barrel. Barrel address adams & co 9 finsburry place south london; slide safety; horn forend cap, cheek piece & steel butt plate.

J.W.ROSIER MARTINI HENRY SPORTING CARBINE: 45-90 Cal; 24" rnd barrel; block mounted folding tangent rear sight; knox form marked j.w.rosier melbourne; g. wood showing walnut character, chequering to wrist & keyed forend; horn cap to forend; 25% coverage to action; cocking indicator & action; cocking lever to r.h.s. of action

These two are going up for auction October 1st in Melbourne, Australia - Lots 293 $ 402. The bottom one is from a previous auction and I didn't take down the details.

http://www.antiquearms.com.au/index.htm

- stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally, just after making that post I went and opened my newly arrived issue of the Double Gun and Single Shot Journal. It contains an article by Sherman Bell titled Martinis I Have Known. It's a dozen pages about classic Martini sporting rifles. As always the quality of the DGJ is top shelf. I'm looking forward to reading it this weekend.

The issue is Vol. 17 Issue 2 Summer 2006.

- stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few photos of a 577/450 Martini that I'm going to sell

YOu can see that the 400 yds leaf is missing...

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brent: You're making me drool again. Stu: Thanks for the tip on the DGJ.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill - just buy it! Smiler
Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brent: Swap you a Mark II, a Mark IV and a Webley Greener 12-gauge fer it!

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tempting Bill, but then I would have three more guns in my safe instead of one less. And none of the three have a hammer!

That Westly Richards Martini is a looker too though. I wonder if I could be happy with mine if I just welded a hammer on the damn thing. Wink

Brent