Find
Notify
Tools

Simple Trigger Geometry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

I'm still working on single shot action design, I hope my questions aren't getting tedious, but now I'd like to know . . . .

Besides John Browning's 1885, what other hammer actions have what might be considered "ideal" or just "good" geometry for the relationship between hammer and trigger, and what makes them so ??

I'm interested the the simple types where the trigger interacts directly with the hammer rather than those using lots of levers or set triggers, and I don't want to go down any paths that can't use or be adapted to coils springs (either straight or mousetrap type).

Examples needn't be confined to just hammers if you like, for example, I'm pretty familar with martini's and they are no slouchs in the trigger dept, so I guess the geometry must be at least OK. Another that I've tuned is the NEF handi, and it can be set up "OK" for hunting as long as backlash doesn't bother you.

Bolt action sear/triggers relationships such as the Model 70 are not adaptable to the situation I have in mind,

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
you are aware that JMB's 1895 has mulitple links in the trigger mechanism right? It's not a "simple" mechanism by any stretch of the imagination.

For direct geoetry with excellant trigger pull look at S&W DA revolvers single-action-sears or the Colt SAA.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty

I did mean Browings single shot rifle, which can be "simplified".

However you comments prompted me to have a closer look at some of the shotguns in my books to see if anything "sprang out" at me, I haven't found anything yet, but it looks like a fruitful area of search.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Thanks Rusty

I did mean Browings single shot rifle, which can be "simplified".

However you comments prompted me to have a closer look at some of the shotguns in my books to see if anything "sprang out" at me, I haven't found anything yet, but it looks like a fruitful area of search.

Cheers - Foster

Triggers don't get much simpler that those on the H&R single shot shotguns. Look here. http://www.e-gunparts.com/schemzoom.asp?schem=1560z88

Look at parts 20, 21, 29 and 34. They are the hammer, trigger and their springs.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you get a chance, take a look at either the action or a schematic of the action of a Baker single-barrel trap gun. They are pretty simple (to me) and very easy to adjust with a jeweler's file and/or a stone.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Malm and AC

The H 7 R shottie is the same as the NEF handi and it's kin, I've pulled mine to bits several times and find it pretty hard to fault, but most things can be improved on.

AC - Baker ?? Can't find any reference on the web or in my books, can you give me some more clues ??

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Baker became part of the Ithaca family, between the two World Wars (I believe...or it could have been just before WW I). I don't know if the trigger remained the same under the Ithaca auspices, but externally the Baker single barrel trap and the Ithaca single barrel trap guns appeared almost identical.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote