New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrelling a Pre-64 Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering having a Pre64 rebarrelled and would like to use the original stock. Has a standard grade barrel with barrel lug. How hard is it to profile the new barrel to match the Winchester original with the barrel lug? How precise of a fit can be achieved? Am I looking at significant addtional cost above a normal rebarrel job?

Thanks

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
bjdoerr---

Check with Lothar-Walther for a barrel with the original countour.

The barrel might not cost extra but it certainly will cost more to install it due to the dovetails that must be cut and the extra time it takes to thread so that the dog knot ends up in the right place.

Unless it's a really rare caliber it'd be cheaper to buy a take-off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
VERY precise matching can be accomplished. Either by having your old barrel "duplicated", or buying one from Walther, who has a M 70 barrel listed as a standard item.

Buying one from Walther lotharwalther@mindspring.com will be cheaper than getting one duplicated.

Write Woody and ask him for details.

He is right there in Cumming GA 770-889-9998 if you want to call him.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that it would be worth the cost...I'd rebarrel it with a close contour and glass it. Once rebarreled it will have no collector value anyway...you can replace the barrel with a take off original...I have a half dozen pre 64 take offs in 30-06 std. wt.

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
You don't have to give up on getting a standard weight barrel to match the stock. If you do get one to match then the stock will remain original and it will retain more value and flexiblity.

I had a wildcat put on a .264 Win Mag. Pre-64. The barrel selected was a Douglas 26" with a similar taper, shank and muzzle to the original barrel. Now you know that the Douglas standard barrel shape has that hump over the chamber and the M-70 have a taper there. I asked the smith to match the barrel to the stock and he did it. This was done about 1987 and the cost was very little for the total chambering and barrel shaping. I think he charged $50.

If my lathe had a long enough bed I would do it with a file. I could knock some of it off with the cutter is suppose but the file would do it all.

This can be done and it worked out fine. I gave up nothing.