Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
I bought one of those laminated stocks with the full length aluminum bedding block for my M700 to replace the plastic factory stock. I thought this would be the answer to my accuracy issues with this rifle but the groups have doubled in size. When the action screws are tightened, I can feel the action and floor plate sink into the stock about .010. I'm wondering if I need to fit the aluminum to my action because with the full length bedding block and pillar bedding everything should be metal to metal. Am I wrong? Should I glass bed the action?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should I glass bed the action

I would make sure there is clearance and bed as usual.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I just done this two days ago with the exception that it was a fiber glass stock with the aluminum bedded in the stock on a factory Remmington 700 police model 308. Talk about a piece of shit! Nothing fit right and had issues with back and forth movement. Rebedded the stock with accraglass, the glass showed where the aluminum wasn't even close to being even with the bottom of the reciever. After seeing this I would recommend glass bedding. Havn't got to go out and test it but it's fit, is ten times better than it was.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

First let me say that I am not an expert and by no means have all the answers. But I have chased a few accuracy issues in the past and am giving you my 2 cents for what it is worth. I would look at a few other things before you glass bed the receiver.

1) Is the barrel free floating or is the barrel bearing against the stock in any places. I have always had better luck with free floating barrels. I usually check this with a piece of paper between the barrel and the stock.
2) If you have a dial indicator it is useful to tell how the receiver is bedded. Put the indicator on the barrel and tighten and loosen the front and rear receiver screw one at a time while watching the indicator. It should show minimal travel if bedded properly. If it moves all over the place you may have high pots in the bedding.
3) Is the trigger hitting any part of the stock or floorplate. This has caused issues for me in the past.

While you are checking things I would look at the muzzle crown for burrs/dents and make sure all the scope/sight mountings are tight.

I am a big fan of glass bedding but would check the other things first.

Where are you in central Cal?

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:
Blacktailer,

First let me say that I am not an expert and by no means have all the answers. But I have chased a few accuracy issues in the past and am giving you my 2 cents for what it is worth. I would look at a few other things before you glass bed the receiver.

1) Is the barrel free floating or is the barrel bearing against the stock in any places. I have always had better luck with free floating barrels. I usually check this with a piece of paper between the barrel and the stock.
2) If you have a dial indicator it is useful to tell how the receiver is bedded. Put the indicator on the barrel and tighten and loosen the front and rear receiver screw one at a time while watching the indicator. It should show minimal travel if bedded properly. If it moves all over the place you may have high pots in the bedding.
3) Is the trigger hitting any part of the stock or floorplate. This has caused issues for me in the past.

While you are checking things I would look at the muzzle crown for burrs/dents and make sure all the scope/sight mountings are tight.

I am a big fan of glass bedding but would check the other things first.

Where are you in central Cal?

Hi Brad,
The barrel is free floated and I have checked the mounts, switched scopes, etc. I haven't put an indicator on it but can feel the action move when the screws are tightened which leads me to suspect that the aluminum bedding block is not contacting the action correctly. The barrel is SS Douglas and the crown appears fine even under magnification. My next step is to torque it down with some plastigage and see what is actually happening. That should tell me if I need to whittle on the Al or fill some voids with glass.
I'm in Paso Robles.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it up in Paso, I am a little ways down the road from you in the Santa Ynez Valley.

The Plasti-gauge might work ok but I find soot from a kerosene lamp to work really well. If you just put the metal parts of the reciever and barrel into the flame of a kerosene lamp it will build a nice layer of black soot. Then carefully put it in the stock and the soot will be deposited on the surfaces that are bearing. It gives a nice indication of what is touching and what is not. Just a suggestion.

Sounds like you checked all the easy things, The only thing I might add is to check that both lugs are bearing. You can do this with the kerosene lamp as well or some Dykem layout fluid.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to remember that the aluminum bedding blocks are all mass produced and have tolerances. The HS Precision ones are the worst, in my experience. I have had to lap the aluminum and then glass bed as normal.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like the receiver walls may be dragging on the action inletting. Do the sides of the mortise show rubbing? I'd relieve that before undergoing any bedding or you'l still induce stress on the receiver.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Sounds to me like the receiver walls may be dragging on the action inletting. Do the sides of the mortise show rubbing? I'd relieve that before undergoing any bedding or you'l still induce stress on the receiver.

I had to relieve the aluminum because it was contacting the bolt release and binding. I will check the clearances further with some soot to find out if the trigger housing is touching or something else. Thought this was going to be a slam-dunk homer Live and learn.

Have gun- Will travel