THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Custom bottom metal/floorplates fro CZ550/Brno602

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom bottom metal/floorplates fro CZ550/Brno602
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
Who makes dropped bottom metal or floorplate for the CZ550/Brno602/Bauska/Ultramag actions? I want to build a Gibbs cased wildcat holing 4 rounds down, if possible. A link to a website or a contact phone number would really help.

---Catter

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a custom job, and there is none better than Thomas Burgess, Kalispell, Montana.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jim Wisner makes a very nice extended floorplate for $65 that replaces the factory floorplate, sorta like those on 500 Schuelers or 425 Westley Richards. Unfortunately he doesn't have any in stock now, Tiggertate bought the last one.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yup, but not on purpose.

Wildcatter, I have in my possesion a beautiful Ted Blackburn Mauser magnum drop box designed for the 505. The hole spacing is the same or near the same as the CZ but until I get receipt of the CZ 375 I bought a while back I won't be able to say just how close of a fit it will be. I am expecting some modification but it may end up far easier than milling a one-of-a-kind unit if I can make it work. I'll keep you posted. BUT, nice as it is, it's 3 down.

It will require a new stock regardless.

On another note, I also have in my possesion a pristine 505/416 reamer. I thought about the 408 CheyTac but decided against the odd caliber. I can neck up CheyTac brass or neck down 505. Jeffe tells me Jamison brass is built the same for either caliber so you can run 55,000 psi easy. More than that is beyond the proof marks on the action (3800 bar).
I think this one will be a long slick stainless tube with a scope and muzzle brake (even though I hate brakes) and I'll load to the very last foot per second with 350 gr Speers just to see if I can turn a hog inside out.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Jim Wisner makes a very nice extended floorplate for $65 that replaces the factory floorplate, sorta like those on 500 Schuelers or 425 Westley Richards. Unfortunately he doesn't have any in stock now, Tiggertate bought the last one.

when would he making more and I wonder if there blued or in the white ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
anyone have a picture of one?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
He said he'd be making another batch but I don't what he has to do before he can get back to them. They are in the white and need fitting to your bottom metal. Sorry for the fuzzy pics.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, tiggertate - looks like they not only add a little depth to the magazine, but also extend back a bit to straddle the trigger guard.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you guys want one like I do, call Jim at 360-748-4590, maybe he will get busy on some new ones.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Jim. He hopes to do a run of 50 in about another month once he gets the algorithm programmed into his CNC mill. The first run was only about 10 which were done by hand.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
How much extra room does Jim's floorplate make? My 505 holds a tight 3 down. Would four down be possible?

I was charged by an irate porcupine the other day. The fourth round wasn't needed, but would have given peace of mind... jumping

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No such luck, Scrollcutter. You'll just have to line 'em up and pray for sufficient penetration.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry,

Really nice action, I want to see it, who did the bolt handle or did you do it.

Very nice.

I have a 3 pos CZ safety I havent bought an action for it, been wrapped around the axle with mauser stuff.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the look of that floor plate!

The potential change in magazine capacity for the .505 Gibbs has been mentioned but, what about the .375 H&H and .416 Rigby?

Could one possibly get 6 down in .375 H&H and 5 down in .416 Rigby using this floor plate? It looks like it would provide a bit more space and possibly allow one more down in the magazine...?

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It might get one more down but you have to thin the follower too.

When I get mine back I'll run some tests

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Tom sent the bolt to a guy in the Gunlist who does them for $25. When it comes back he had to do all the smoothing and shaping. Actually you can do that yourself pretty easy.

That's the 505 action. It's getting the bastogne wood turned this week and the single stack mag fitted.

This is the pattern: English oval cheekpiece and so forth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The RIGBY type pocket floorplate that tigertate showed is what I make. It has a .150" deep pocket inside the plate to match up with the inside of the magazine box to allow the last little bit more needed to get that last cartidge in the magazine. It works on the 375 and 416 actions.

I designed it to go on the CZ 550, am not sure but it should also fit the 602 Brno.

Just today I cut the rest of the bar of steel, enough for 30 plates. Now have to work them into the production line with all the other parts we do.
Should have them done sometime in Feb. There are two CNC mill operations and one manual lathe operation that I cut four plates at a time in a special fixture.

They are as machined from 12L14 steel. They need the front hinge fitted and drilled for the hinge pin. Also a little fitting in the rear to remove the raduis of the end mill in two corners. Then you final polish to suit.

For kicks, figure this out. I start with 1 7/16" HEX bar stock to make this part. It is 5.00" long and then rip it down the middle to make two floorplates.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
Wisner's Inc.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
How do you make the cut down the middle?

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to find 12L14 in rectangular bars!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
The RIGBY type pocket floorplate that tigertate showed is what I make. It has a .150" deep pocket inside the plate to match up with the inside of the magazine box to allow the last little bit more needed to get that last cartidge in the magazine. It works on the 375 and 416 actions.

I designed it to go on the CZ 550, am not sure but it should also fit the 602 Brno.

Just today I cut the rest of the bar of steel, enough for 30 plates. Now have to work them into the production line with all the other parts we do.
Should have them done sometime in Feb. There are two CNC mill operations and one manual lathe operation that I cut four plates at a time in a special fixture.

They are as machined from 12L14 steel. They need the front hinge fitted and drilled for the hinge pin. Also a little fitting in the rear to remove the raduis of the end mill in two corners. Then you final polish to suit.

For kicks, figure this out. I start with 1 7/16" HEX bar stock to make this part. It is 5.00" long and then rip it down the middle to make two floorplates.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
Wisner's Inc.

Thanks, Jim - will you fit it for an additional fee?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim-

On the .416 you mention, will it allow 5 down? Thanks

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I'll second Marc's question... Can you get 5 down in the .416 Rigby?

I am going to assume 6 down in .375 H&H is not a problem as I can do
that in my stock cz550....but, feeding suffers.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate,

great minds must think alike...or psychosis is transmittable via the Internet. I have a Remington Model of 1934 action, and a box of unformed 416 cylindrical brass. Can you post the specs of your 500/416 or possibly Email me?
thanks,

lrkayser@cableone.net

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc_Stokeld, DavidC

DavidC, the problem you have with the 6th round in the 375 is what the new plate cures. This same thing happpens with the 416 Rigby on the CZ 550.

To explain what a RIGBY POCKET PLATE is to you guys.

I stated that the pocket it is .150" deep.

This allows the follower and magazine spring to lay below the stock line. The recess matches up with the inside dims of the magazine box so the follower will not get stuck trying to move upwards.

This will now redo a gun that would just barely get the last round in, only to have to batter the bolt handle to try to get the cartidge to feed from the rails in a too tight condition.
Not enough vertical hieght for all the parts and cartidges.

When I desighed this RIGBY pocket plate, the sample gun I had. I could get 6 rounds of 375 H&H and 4 rounds of 416 Rigby easily in the magazine after installing one of these RIGBY pocket plates.

This aprox depth is what John Rigby and Co. worked out years ago for the actions they built their rifles on. It makes for a nice handling depth that does not take away from the rest of the rifle.

DavidC, to get the 5th round in the CZ 416. You would need a SCHULLER type floorplate that would have a inside machined recess of at least .440" deep.
Sorry I do not make that.

Roger, I rip the bar of steel with a vertical band saw, it takes right at 2 min for the cut 5 inches long. The sawn flat then becomes the bottom of the floorplate in the cnc mill and then is lathe turned off.

Sorry but I am no longer taking in custom work, as the parts business and my 21 month old son keeps me too busy.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
Wisner's INc.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Tiggertate,

great minds must think alike...or psychosis is transmittable via the Internet. I have a Remington Model of 1934 action, and a box of unformed 416 cylindrical brass. Can you post the specs of your 500/416 or possibly Email me?
thanks,

lrkayser@cableone.net

You have a PM

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jim, I'll take 2 when they are ready, you have PM.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Make that 4 and I'll pay you for the shipping, Forrest. Efficiency of scale and all that crap. LOL.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
tiggertate: Make that 4 and I'll pay you for the shipping

Done. What are you gonna do with 3 ?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I thought you wanted 2 and 2 for me. I have a CZ 375 on the way and can always use a spare of almost anything.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
One that you already have plus 2 more equals 3.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I see. No, I have 2 right now plus 2 more = 4. The 505, 550 and the new 375. That leaves me one spare. The last one I bought from Jim would be the fifth one which was actually for Dave Estergaard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to outline the Rigby pocket plate for us....I had never heard it described as such. I was under the impression that it was part of a drop box magazine system.

Anyone have pics they could post of stocked rifles with Wisner/Rigby type pocket floor plates?

Regards,
Dave

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I believe this is close to what Jim is describing.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
new guy,

Thanks for the pic. That would be a Schuller floorplate.....correct...?

It certainly has quite a bit more drop to it than is present in the 2 cz550 pics. tiggertate posted and the .150 deep pocket Jim was describing.

Regards,
Dave