Find
Notify
Tools

Deciding on a Rem700 stock/trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I have a Remington 700 ADL in .308 (load/unload through top) that has been my "let others borrow" rifle. As of right now it is my only Right Handed rifle as I think I have completely swapped over to left hand.

Wanting some opinions on aftermarket hunting stock choices, as well as aftermarket triggers for this gun. It is an accurate rifle, but would like to fix it up so it doesn't look like a cheap rifle.

Don't want a stock that has a cheek piece for a rh or lh shooter, nor a tactical or overly heavy stock.

I've never had an aftermarket trigger on any of my bolt action rifles, but would like a replacement for this one. I had a match trigger on two semi-autos and really liked that. Some opinions for that would be great.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Stocks are pretty much stocks as long as they are properly fitted and bedded. Triggers however are another mater. The Jewells are good but they are fussy and liked to be kept clean. The Timney Calvin Elite is nice but only goes to 2 pounds maximum. Most of the hunting triggers made get a bit spooky when you get below 3 pounds. Hard slamming of the bolt will cause most to fire when you get threeish and under. One of the newer offerings is the TriggerTech unit and at the start I was very suspicious of the design. There is no true sear in it as there are in other triggers. The two sears actually role on a steel pin which sits between them which eliminates almost all of the friction. Much like how the Egyptians rolled large stones on logs while making the pyramids. (Aliens taught them to do that. I saw it on TV or on the interweb)I have since had a chance to take apart and play with a half dozen of the their 700 triggers and those will be my next go-to for hunting triggers. To date, they seem to be one of the most thought out and from one trigger to the next the pull is very uniform and predictable. The roller sear takes away all of the trigger to trigger and most of the shot to shot variation. The safety is both a trigger and sear block system and it is a non-wearing system.

I should have also added that the adjustment screw is actually a click system and there is no need to glue and un-glue everything when you make adjustments.

The photos show the safety in the fire and safe position.

TriggerTech by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

TriggerTech Safe On by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bell and Carlson has a variety of 700 stocks. I put a Shilen trigger in this one. The stock is a modified wood factory with a paint job and a Decelerator pad.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Jewells in my Comp. rifles, but prefer Shilens in my hunting rifles.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
PM Snellstrom but click here first

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does it have the old "Walker Trigger" or the newer X-Mark Pro? I personally have had no issues with the old trigger. Properly adjusted and kept clean they are as safe as anything else. I've gotten pulls down to 1.5 lbs with no slam-fire issues. You just have to be mindful of the sear engagement screw adjustment.

Replacement stock, no cheekpiece: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/800740.htm
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I have a Remington 700 ADL in .308 (load/unload through top) that has been my "let others borrow" rifle. As of right now it is my only Right Handed rifle as I think I have completely swapped over to left hand.

Wanting some opinions on aftermarket hunting stock choices, as well as aftermarket triggers for this gun. It is an accurate rifle, but would like to fix it up so it doesn't look like a cheap rifle.

Don't want a stock that has a cheek piece for a rh or lh shooter, nor a tactical or overly heavy stock.

I've never had an aftermarket trigger on any of my bolt action rifles, but would like a replacement for this one. I had a match trigger on two semi-autos and really liked that. Some opinions for that would be great.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Bell & Carlson Medalist, and just have someone who knows what they're doing rework the original trigger.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too like the Triggertech trigger. I thought my reworked original trigger was nice, but this is a whole different feel.

Lots of stocks. Boyds has a number of wood/laminaate models, and just about everybody making stocks has something for the 700, so it is pretty much decide what you want to pay and go from there.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
How do I know if I have an old trigger or Xmark? I got the rifle in trade used. The Triggertech looks like a nice one and is priced well. I may order one of those along with the Timney trigger spring kits for my Browning A-bolts.

Great I will check out the B&C and Boyd's stocks. I don't really want the rh cheekpiece because I like shooting the rifle on occasion.

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
X-Mark Pro: http://www.brownells.com/userd...neous/wb909-atb3.jpg

Walker: http://blog.cheaperthandirt.co...10/WalkerTrigger.jpg

Check your serial number with Remington to see if you are covered by a recall replacement.

quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
How do I know if I have an old trigger or Xmark? I got the rifle in trade used. The Triggertech looks like a nice one and is priced well. I may order one of those along with the Timney trigger spring kits for my Browning A-bolts.

Great I will check out the B&C and Boyd's stocks. I don't really want the rh cheekpiece because I like shooting the rifle on occasion.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great, Thank you for the information. I'll pull my rifles out of the stocks and see what they have.