Find
Notify
Tools

What is "pillar" bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted
I know what bedding a rifle is and why it is done, but I do not know what pillar bedding is. Could someone explain this to me, or direct me to a link that has a description?

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Enlarge the holes in the stock that the action screws go through and install sleeves (usually aluminum or steel) and epoxy them to the stock. When you tighten the action screws they bear on the tubes(pillars) and prevent crushing of the wood and allow more consitent torque by isolating the action screws from the shrinking and swelling of the wood.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, that is well said and quite concise also!!

That it Wooly.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Pillar Bedding

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is Russ' how to for the Rem 700:
http://www.shooters-supply.com/rifle_bedding.html

I have been pillar bedding Mausers with 3/8" tube in the rear and 5/8" tube in the front. I don't think it is really needed unless the stock is a soft laminate or a flimsy synthetic stock. Just plain old glass bedding will be good enough.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, for your prompt replies and links. I now know more today than I did yesterday!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote