Notify
Tools

Great link to rare old German cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

I found this great link to some of the old rare German Cartridges.
ALF properly have them all in his collection Wink

http://www.sammlermunition.de/jagdpatronen.htm

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffry,
Thank you for that link. Alf probably has rifles in each of them. Smiler

Now I never knew that there was a 7X64 Brenneke. I wonder if it is still made. That sounds like a wonderful cartridge but a guy would still be stuck with the high price for brass here in the US.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I never knew that there was a 7X64 Brenneke. I wonder if it is still made. That sounds like a wonderful cartridge but a guy would still be stuck with the high price for brass here in the US.

True byt if one can afford a $2000 stock what is a bit of brass to stop you from having a dream rifle.

I would like a 9,3x70 Wink

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:

Customstox

7X64 is very much alive, almost every European ammo make offers it (Norma, RWS, Sako, RUAG, S&B, Brenneke). Ammo could be found even in Mongolia

Brass is available from Huntington's, or 270 win cases could be reformed.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Isn't the 7x64 a dimensional twin to the 280 Rem? Too bad it's not on the 9.3x64 case.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Isn't the 7x64 a dimensional twin to the 280 Rem?

Well, you almost got it right Cool According to Norma 7X64 has slightly larger case capacity Big Grin Remington case is 1mm longer than the 7X64 Brenneke.

I think Tom Burgess have designed a wildcat on the 9,3X64 Brenneke case. I know there are a few 7X68 wildcats Eeker

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan

A 7x68s sounds like a sweet cartridge Wink
But the 8mm will do it for me.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
quote:

True byt if one can afford a $2000 stock what is a bit of brass to stop you from having a dream rifle. I would like a 9,3x70 Wink

Cheers,

André

And I would like a SXS double in 8X75R.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Natchez has a real good sale on Norma brass in such calibers as the 7x64 and 8x68S. I just picked up some 8x68 brass for my next project. Also just got off the phone with Woody Woodall and the barrel will be here in early Feb. Now if I can just figure out what to do with bottom metal I'll be a very happy camper.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look no further

http://members.aol.com/naederr/erawelcomeenglish.htm
This is what all the top gunmakers use.

Recknagel make a buttom metal that is good to go for the 8x68s.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the 7x64 is not the same brass as the 9.3X64?

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
No, it is very close to a 280. I think Federal still makes 7X64 rounds and Remington also did at one time not to long ago. I wish it was based on the 9.3X64 though because it would be easier to come up with brass for the 9.3. To make things more complicated the 6.5X64 Brenneke is really a 270 case with a 6.5 bullet in it.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
To simplify a bit,
the 8x64, 7x64 and 6.5x64 are built on the same case with 8x64 being the basic or original case.

The 9.3x64 is an entirely different case, being fatter and thus more powerful.

Regards

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
the 8x64, 7x64 and 6.5x64 are built on the same case with 8x64 being the basic or original case.

Georg

I don't think it is quite that simple. Wink

I am not positive of the 8X64 but if you look at the link below it shows the 6.5X64 and the 7X64 to be two different cases.

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

I have personally held both in my hand and it is quite obvious that the 6.5X64 was based on the 270 Winchester case. Why Benneke did this has always been a puzzle to me but at one time I had a 6.5X06 and brass that someone had that was stamped 6.5X64 Brenneke fit in it perfectly. The rifle did have a long throat and it probably was part of the reason a case one milimeter longer fit in it. Other's I know who had 6.5X06s could not fire the cases safely in their rifles.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
As i hold a Norma 7x64 round in one hand & a Remington 280 in the other they are deffinetly on the same case. (.470 case head diameter.)

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noticed a 7x64 at a gun show in Saline Michigan today 1/8/05. It was in a Mauser. Uncertain of the price, but its always more then I want to pay.

Posts: 148 | Location: behind a cabbage plant on a hot August Day | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
A bit of history for you Americans. The 8x64 Brenneke was developed in europe in 1912 and necked down to 7mm in 1917. Base Dia is 11.95mm (or 0.470)

The 270 Winchester was developed in 1923 and released in 1925. Base Dia is 12mm (or 0.473").

Not all cartridges are based on American designs.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
A bit of history for you Americans. The 8x64 Brenneke was developed in europe in 1912 and necked down to 7mm in 1917. Base Dia is 11.95mm (or 0.470)

The 270 Winchester was developed in 1923 and released in 1925. Base Dia is 12mm (or 0.473").

Not all cartridges are based on American designs.

I just read through the thread again and I don't see where anyone said it was based on an American design.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
7x64 brass is readily available but can also be made from 270 brass. Just pass the 270 through a 7x64 sizing die and you're there. A little tight at first, length will be fine.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having and using one of these old and odd cartridges is neat. I was hoping to see some info on the Sauer line of cartridges found in German singles and combos as I just picked up this little stalker in 6.5x58R:

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
S&B 7x64mm ammo is 174gr with a stepped nose SP bullet, It has a "name".

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've seen those before. Wild looking bullets. They sure punch some clean holes don't they.

BTW, nice looking rifle. Smiler

Terry

quote:
Originally posted by richj:
S&B 7x64mm ammo is 174gr with a stepped nose SP bullet, It has a "name".

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
In France the 7X64 is probably the most common bolt action cartridge used in hunting. And one of the only European cartridges loaded by an American ammunition maker.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Jeffry,
Thank you for that link. Alf probably has rifles in each of them. Smiler

I think that 7X64 - 7X65R is about the same as the .280 Rem. I use 7X65R brass to make 8X60RS cases for a double rifle. Brass (RWS) costs about the same as for our cartridges.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Altough called "Brenneke" the 6.5 x 64 and its twin 6.5 x 64 R weren't made by Mr. Brenneke.They have the "Brenneke" moniker because they were made necking down the 7 x 64 ( and 7 x 65R) cases.

Its the same as the 7 x 66 Vom Hofe that is a commercial and standardized version of an experimental cartridge ideated by Vom Hofe.The actual 7 x 66 was designed by Gehmann after Vom Hofe's death

A little known 6.5 wildcat is the 6.5 Messner and its rimmed version, both based on the 9.3 x 64 brenneke case

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote