Find
Notify
Tools

1999 Barreled Actions.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I posted this in the African hunting forum, but was told to try here. I'm looking into getting a 375 H&H and with all the quality control problems from factory rifles I thought maybe a custom would be better. The Montana 1999 actions seemed to be of good quality and they don't cost a fortune either. I would like to know if anyone knows the price for a chrome moly barreled action in 375 H&H from them? Could I get a barreled action and a stock from serengeti stockworks plus all those extra fees needed to assemble it for less than $2,000? I'd like to put iron sights on, but relize this could be expensive so I am content to get a barrel band at first then later add the irons. I am not into that polishing the rails stuff, so I would leave the action as it arrives. Do you think this idea is possible? Oh, I am not a gunsmith so the work would not be done by me. Thanks for your input.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens-

You have an e-mail.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please post your response. I am also interested in the answer.
Thanks
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens, I think you should be able to do that for 2K, if you don't get carried away too much with upgrades in wood, checkering, etc etc. For a pretty standard .375 H&H, open sights, Serengeti (previously AcraBond) stock, 2K should be about right.

This is one place to start looking: Serengeti Ghostkit. On top of this you need the open sights, the smithing, plus finishing the stock. With luck and depending on whether you might be willing to do some work yourself, you might even have 2-300 left over for a scope.

Try getting in touch with Larry at Serengeti, he can help you price your options larryt@serengetirifles.com.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'd like to thank you all for your help. This looks to be the best route and I think I'm going to take it. I'm waiting for price quotes and then maybe I'll build. The only question's I have now are how long does it take to have a barrel and action built, a stock made, sights installed, and those other things needed to be done? I need to know when to start building, at least ordering, to give me time to sight-in and practice. Thanks.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sevens,

Building the rifle for under $2k is tough to do when Uncle Sam sticks his hand into our back pocket for an 11% cut. But I think we can do it for $2400, which includes the Federal Excise Tax, a hard case, and some range testing.

I know we have at least one Lioness stock, and a couple of Merlins that are uncommited. Great solutions for a 375 H&H. I also know we have 3 or 4 .375 barrels in stock and almost a hundred actions. Turn-around time on this one could be 4-5 weeks, if you choose what's on the shelf.

MHO is right about the Ghost, should you have a gunsmith already in mind. If he's willing to do final shaping on finishing on the stock, we could ship this tomorrow!

Give Larry a call at the #'s below.

Best

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Rod,

If I'm reading this right, would you, Serenget Stockworks, be the ones putting the MRC 1999 action and barrel together? The ghost kit seems nice, but I'd prefer just to have the stock completed by you because I have alot of extras I want to achieve a classic look. Would you guys then be the ones to assemble the rifle before shipping it in working condition to me? Thanks.
Sevens

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Rod,

I have been a little over anxious and didn't read the part about the ghost kit came with a MRC action and barrel. Now that I figured that out, what a deal. There are a lot of upgrades I would do that would drive the cost up such as, cross bolts, ebony forend, pachmayr decelerator pad, steel grip cap, basic checkering, and upgarde to AA grade wood. These would all be available at the price shown on the website, correct?

When you say I would need to finish the stock, what is involved in that? Would I be able to do that on my own, or does an expert need to do it? I do get the rifle needs to be assembled and I'll probably have the smith I use to install sights do that. Thanks for your input.

Sevens

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sevens,

All prices are good on the website, except a glitch I discovered tonight on the Ghost Special Selection upgrade with was based on old pricing. Also, CNC stocks require final shaping and sanding before finish is applied. It takes some skill in stocking to do this and it is THE basis for all that comes after. If you've not done this before, It might be better to leave that part to us. Dempsey just picked up his "finish ready" stock and a CNC'd only companion, such as would come with the Ghost. He might be able to give an objective option of what you would face.

Our folks can do final shape & sand in about five hours. We sand out to 150 grit before applying the sealer coat.

Finishing begins with the sealer coat, which is 30% thinned Pro-Custom, with mineral spirits. We use Pro-Custom satin oil to apply base coats, each sanded at 220grit until all pores are filled. Problem areas are wet-sanded to filled cavities and persistant pores. Then we go one or two more for depth before switching up to 320 grit. This oil is wonderfully self-leveling. I've had a hair fall of my head in the final coat (they keep doing that ), wiped it away with my thumb, hit the wiped area with a burst of aerosol and had it dry out invisible. The time to finish depends on the wood. Some blanks are more porous than others. 3-12 coats with 6-7 being the norm. Light buffing with 0000 wool on the top coat gives a wonderful hand-rubbed look. Very durable. Checkers like a dream.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote