Find
Notify
Tools

Bad groups in a Browning 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi:
Few days ago I found a very nice Browning I think is from 1960 more or less with nice engraving and stock in 30-06.
I start testing it with two loads that are very accurate in other rifles and found that it agrupate the two first shots ,one touching the other ,and when the barrel get some temperature it start to open the group to 2,5-3 " at 65 meters.
The rifle is floated and have a good bedding work that came with him.
What do you think about it.
Thanks
Gtrotz

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
gtotz when the barrel gets hot the groups WILL open up. Try shooting another group but this time let the barrel cool down between each shot and see if you get a smaller group.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
gtotz when the barrel gets hot the groups WILL open up. Try shooting another group but this time let the barrel cool down between each shot and see if you get a smaller group.

If that doesn't do it, then try applying some pressure to the barrel by inserting some business cards between the barrel and the tip of the forend. You can adjust the pressure by adding or removing business cards. If that helps your groups, then find someone who can add a permanent pressure pad to your forearm.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
How are the groups opening. Is it just getting bigger or does it string up and down or side to side?

If it is just getting bigger then malm's and D's suggestions will probably help. Make sure you eliminate any shooter error. Try dry firing the rifle to make sure you aren't pulling your shots or canting the rifle in different degrees. Once that's eliminated, and the action screws and scope mounts and rings are secured, it's time to start looking at the bedding. Starting with malm's answer. Or, if the groups are moving vertically the bedding points could be off and you are getting a bend in the action. Horizontally, could be indicating a side movement in the action due to improper bedding.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger:
if the groups are moving vertically the bedding points could be off and you are getting a bend in the action.

Actually, that's a good place to start. For a quick bedding check what I will do is make sure the guard screw are tight, and then with one hand lightly grasping the barrel and forend, I will slowly loosen the front guard screw and feel for any movement of the barrel, action or both. If there is, then you have a bedding problem which is most likely placing your action on a bind. And, that alone may not solve your problem, but it is one area to look at among others. Good luck!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your answers , today I'll try with the different options.
This night I place a report.
gtrotz

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well:
First of all ,thanks to all of you that take your time to answer my question.
In the afternoon I insert two layers of the plastic of a shotshell and adjust well all the bolts and made a two five shots test.
The two groups were in 1 -1,5 " , for hunting I think isw a very good group so I close all and let the rifle ready .
Sincerely yours
Gtrotz

one of us
posted Hide Post
gtrotz, glad you made some progress, you are right, 1 to 1.5" groups are quite fine for a hunting rig.

Good shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote