Find
Notify
Tools

Fiddleback/Curly Woods
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Okay, so it isnt maple or walnut, its coastal redwood from California, but it is the product of a milling operation that I have started through the Company I work for. We are reclaiming logs that were left in the woods 60-130 years ago. Redwood really doesn't rot it just gets better with time like wine. No, redwood won't work for a stock except maybe a 22 long rifle, but I thought you might want to see some unique wood. Some of our logs are over 8 feet in diameter.

Mostly redwood in these pictures, but there is also a little big-leaf maple, myrtle, madrone, and a few claro walnut.

Obviously some of these are good stockwoods and we can custom cut too, but typically we will have knife scales and fore-end tip type woods on hand as well as turning woods all the way to large slabs for tables.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a redwood=carbonfiber laminate BR stock. It is very stiff and light.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Some pretty wood there. Who will you be selling to and for what purposes?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
As Butch has indicated, some stockmakers are laminating redwood and making very nice BR stocks. Terry Leonard comes to mind. His stocks are a thing to behold, fine craftmanship and good looking to boot. How does redwood compare in $$$ to walnut or maple?

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

Cut these up & have them stabilized & they would make nice knife handles.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Sorry I just got to respond.

I will be handling a lot of the sales in the beginning, but the wood will go to people who are showing interest in it. If there are gunstock laminates that people are building, we will sell to them. Our old-growth will be far better than anything currently on the market from new sawn second growth.

If you can point me in the direction of people in need of redwood I would really like to discuss with them the possibilities of our wood.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
SawmillCreek.com

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote