New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finish question/advice for HK pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an older model H&K P7 that needs to be refinished so I am hoping that I could get some advice here on what finish to get for the gun and who to use.

Since I do shoot and carry the gun I want to get a durable finish. I also want it to look as close to factory/origional as possible, so I need a blue/black finish....P7's are blued steel guns.

I am looking at Robar's "Roguard" finish right now but it is going to be over $400 bucks so I am wondering who else does quality work.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Check out www.bearcoat.com

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Devil Dog!

I am going to keep them on my list. I googled them but there seems to be a few bad reviews about the finish being "thick", but maybe this is from some of us who are never happy.

I phoned Bear Coat and spoke to a guy there who was more than happy to talk to me and discuss the finish at length. The finish is only $225 compared to Robar's $400 bucks.

I e-mailed Robar 5 days ago and they STILL haven't responded.....not good!!

I am hoping to get a few more responses here before making a decision.

Thanks!

Frank

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also look at Mahovsky's Metalife. I have always been more than impressed with everything they have done for me.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You can check out QPQ or Melonite too. A lot of service pistols are treated that way today. IIRC Glock slides are QPQed.

QPQ

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The P7s have a carburized steel finish. The Melonite finish as suggested is like the Glock's and I believe the newer HKs .That's really the best there is at this point , the case hardening + another rust resistant layer .

It can be very difficult to find out exactly what these coatings consist of which is frustrating to me but they certainly do a fine job.