Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 455 Varmint Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
A good friend and I are trying to figure out what is going on with his rifle. As it says in the subject line it is a CZ 455 Varmint in .22LR with a 5 round magazine.

This rifle shoots great for the most part. 4 rounds inside 1" at a measured 100 yards off a rest is virtually a sure thing. Now the problem.

The first round out of every magazine fired is anywhere from 2" - 3" to the right of the next four. It is always the first round fired, cold barrel, hot barrel, no difference. Also, if we just load 4 rounds the same event happens but with 3 in a nice cluster and the 1st round fire out to the right.

It does it with all brands of ammo we have tried. Bedding seems fine, crown is clean and crisp. Screws are tight.

Anyone ever seen or heard of this before? Any ideas?

I am posting this in Rimfire Rifles & Pistols as well.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Try shooting the gun single shot and see if the problem persists. If it goes away and then comes back when you use the magazine then it's probably pressure from the loaded magazine and the bunched up mag spring raising or changing the position of the bolt.

This problem is common in the 581 - 582 Remington series when they are built into target guns. The cure in those guns is to remove all the bolt nose clearance and create some crush pressure so the bolt is forced to the same position every time.

Never heard of that problem in the CZ. I have owned a few and it's never cropped up.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this topic was on rimfire central and seemed fairly common not sure I remember correctly but seems it was burr in chamber where it met the lands and grooves it was a long article and nteresting,its in the cz section under sophia's questions and answers under cleaning topic is cold barrel flyers.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:
this topic was on rimfire central and seemed fairly common not sure I remember correctly but seems it was burr in chamber where it met the lands and grooves it was a long article and nteresting,its in the cz section under sophia's questions and answers under cleaning topic is cold barrel flyers.

Found the topic. Seems they have a tight throat and a lead ring can build up. First shot is off but clears the ring. next ones build it up again. Interesting concept. have to see if that is the answer.

Thanks,

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
how would that always make the first shot a flyer? Confused

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
how would that always make the first shot a flyer? Confused

Beats me. I can't wrap my head around the whole issue.

Dave

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you only put 3 in the magazine is the first still a flyer? Or does the mag need to be full? If it has to be full then like SC said maybe it is putting pressure upwards on the bolt.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their thought is there is a sliver of lead at the end of chamber that has cooled and is harder than the shots fired after as they have heated it up thus being softer and less grab. I just don't know but some of the posters claim they sent gun back to CZ and was fixed. Just sounds to complicated to think about .

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:
Their thought is there is a sliver of lead at the end of chamber that has cooled and is harder than the shots fired after as they have heated it up thus being softer and less grab. I just don't know but some of the posters claim they sent gun back to CZ and was fixed. Just sounds to complicated to think about .

I just don't know how to reply or respond to that. I think I'll just put on my tinfoil hat, mount my purple unicorn and ride off over the rainbow.

popcorn

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check all the stock screws and scope mount screws.

If a "ring of lead in the throat" is the issue, then the problem should not appear with FMJs or other bullets that have a closed base (no lead exposed.

Give that a try.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try switching the first and last round in your mag. Big Grin

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you can still, or ever could get FMJ 22RF ammo GeorgeS. There was a run of it made in South Africa for some of the spook-buzz-saws to be quasi legal for military use. But I think they gave pressure problems in regular 22s and were never released to the public.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
If you only put 3 in the magazine is the first still a flyer? Or does the mag need to be full? If it has to be full then like SC said maybe it is putting pressure upwards on the bolt.

It does it with 4 in the mag but haven't tried 3.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TEST 1. My advice would be to see what happens when you load it from a magazine that has ONLY one round in it.

TEST 2. Load a full magazine, fire one shot. Don't cycle bolt.

Drop the magazine, replace the fired round, cycle bolt fire one shot. Repeat three more times and see if they all group the same.

It may be this pressure on the bolt thing or it may be that somehow that first round is getting damaged as it feeds in.

TEST 3. Have you tried ejecting that first round without firing it to see if it is damaged?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose you have ever tried shooting it single shot? Without the mag?

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I can get back at it this weekend.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
How have you been cleaning it? Tried scrubbing the chamber and leade down to bare clean steel yet?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
As it seems to have turned out, the folks saying it was lead build-up in the throat were apparently correct. Got it all scrubbed out and 5/5 in a MOA from the rest. Several brands and several times. Seems that unlike many other .22 rifles, this one needs the throat de-leaded (made that word up) after about 50-70 rounds.

Now it is known and all is well.

Dave

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
While I have no doubt lead in the throat would be an issue. I'm still confused as to why it only makes the first round a flyer.

But glad it worked out for you

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I am totally clueless but I'll take it. Magic is all I can think of. LOL

Dave