Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako mounting issues
 Login/Join

posted
I'm having a dilema and surely I'm not the only one that met resistance scoping a Sako AV rifle. I'm trying to establish proper eye relief
while mounting a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14. The problem I'm having is the objective bell housing is maxed out against the Talley ring before I pull the scope to the rear for proper relief. I had a set of Leupold clamp bases and put them on the rear portion of the receiver, but still don't have enough distance. It appears the Sako Optilock extended bases are geared at moving the rings forward, not backward.

I know my problems would be solved if I went with a one piece rail, but I don't like the looks of picatinny rail.

Thanks in advance-

Wade

Posts: 20 | Location: MI | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pic would help, but it sounds like you need to move the front ring back towards the action port? How much? I've got Talley, Leupold, and the old style Sako mounts for my L461. The Sako mounts have screws on both sides and you might be able to move that front ring back to the end of the action port. Don't know if that would be enough for you. Other than that, you might find a Redfield base for the Sako and then use an extended dovetail ring in the reversed orientation.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
gzig,

You are correct, the rings will need to come to the port, possibly a hair over. I can remount for a picture, but I believe you have the general ides. The mount and/or rings must come to the rear to enable the scope to be properly adjusted.

I can research the Redfield option. If anyone has pictures of such mount a post with image would be much appreciated.

Thanks-

Wade

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
The problem is that the rings are roughly 5.3 inches fron outside edge to outside edge on the Sako AV. So you need to find a scope that the length of the tube is 5.3 inches long between the bells of the lenses or of course find another pair of rings and bases.

I gave up on the rings and bases and just bought another scope.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was afraid a longer scope that was going to be my fix.

I called around on the Redfield extended ring and according to one gent, Redfield may no longer make the ring I'm seeking.

posted Hide Post
Have you looked into Conetrols? They have a reverse front base option that puts the ring close to the rear of the front dovetail. That, or as mentioned, a set of the original style of Sako ringmounts. The drawback is that the rear ring will need to be near the rear of the rear dovetail to engage the little recoil lug on the ring.
Good luck,
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wadevb1:
I was afraid a longer scope that was going to be my fix.

I called around on the Redfield extended ring and according to one gent, Redfield may no longer make the ring I'm seeking.

The various bases and rings to fit these Sakos come up pretty frequently on ebay. Another option if you really want the scope you have would be to have custom bases made. I have a set of Tally bases on one of my L461's, you might ask them if they would do a one off front base that would extend back, or maybe they have an extension ring that goes the right direction?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can always just use the leupold ringmounts specifically made for Sako dovetails. There's no recoil lug on the bottom of them, and they can be mounted anywhere on the front and rear dovetail. They're tough enough too.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tried the Leupold ringmounts. I still didn't get the relief I was looking for. I'll check with talley and inquire on a set of customs and keep my eyes open for other options.

Thanks guys