Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 64 Won't Feed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted
Hi Guys,

Posting this for my Dad. He has an old Winchester Model 64 in .32 Winchester Special that won't feed. The cartridge seems to be pushed upward at too "steep" an angle to allow it to go into the chamber.

We took it to a local gunsmith who said that he couldn't find any parts for this gun. Can anyone recommend a source for parts for this old gun, or can someone recommend a gunsmith who specializes in problems such as these?

I got my dad a set of dies for the gun for Christmas so I would love to get the old gun going again.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Darrell

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work for a gunshop in Newton Al what part of GA are in you in. The action on the 64 is the same as the Mod. 94 and parts are widely available. David.

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
That's great news Elmer, Thank you! I'm in Ellijay, GA up in the mountains. hillbilly

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing to look at would be the carrier spring and the angled vee pad the spring bears on the carrier. They both or one could be worn, causing the carrier not to go all the way up.

Also check the two screws that hold the cartidge guides in place, they can back off thus hitting the cartidge and or causing the guide to be loose. These are tightened from the inside of the action.

Also have it tore apart and CLEANED. lots of things can get into the action and years of gunk will not help the function.

These are the same as a Pre 1964 model 94 and there are still lots of parts availalbe out there, both repro and some factory, once you figure out what needs to be done to the old shooter

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
www.wisnersinc.com

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately, this isn't my gun so I don't get to decide who gets to work on it. My Dad is going to take it to another local guy. The last one couldn't get it into his head that it wasn't a 30-30.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks again,

Darrell