New
Find
Notify
Tools

richard microfit stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i orderd it on june 8 today is sept 16 they told me they shipped it out aug 21 (they also billed my credit card that day ) i phoned them 2 weeks latter and they said they had no record of sending a stock ... i then told them my card was billed????? they then changed there story and said it was mailed out on the 26 of the month... well i have contacted USPS and they tell me that it should not take any longer than 2 weeks to get a parcell to canada.. and if it goes longer than 2 weeks the shipper should call and file a lost item for insurance pouposes ,they refuse to call for the claim ????? i dont even think they have shipped it . i am giving them 2 more days and if it is not here they can ram it side ways ..

Posts: 40 | Location: toronto | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same story, over and over again.
Sorry you have had to experience it yourself.
Ask them to ship another or efund your money. I believe the bank will eliminate the charges if you ask.
Good luck.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard's is SLOW and they seem to have an excuse for everything. In all fairness, they have always made good on their screwups with me. It's rather frusrating, to say the least.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
They are indeed the kings of excuses. Being late is one thing, billing your card is another. I'd be raising holy hell. I see another company in business I wasn't aware of
http://www.nebotech.com/

I know nothing about them and their site isn't fully operational yet, but maybe they'll fill the much needed niche of a good semi-inletter

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Yup, same story. I've got about 8-12 stocks from them over the last years. That secretary they have could hardly seem less interested in being helpful.

I also called one time to ask about stock dimensions like drop-at-heel, drop-at-toe, drop-at-comb; you'd thought I was asking them questions about theoretical physics. How can a stock company not have figures like that immediately on hand???

Anyway, they do fill a niche, but I will certainly be open to trying some other places.

Anyway...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered one and they said 8-10 weeks and two weeks for shipping to Canada. It showed up exactly 12 weeks to the day I ordered it. I can't complain, I was expecting it to take longer. Pretty good wood for the price and all the holes line up like they should. [Smile]

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
I've gotten two stocks from them with no difficulty at all. The second stock I asked for an Ebony fore end and cap and the wood was not as dark as I would have liked. I emailed them and they refunded the price of the ebony with no difficulty.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I have also had good experiences. But they aren't consistently good. No company is without fault but they have made a art out of it. They only have one style I can tolerate otherwise I'd roll the dice more often.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the key may be Canada. I sent a scope across the border. I had to fill out Customs forms. The scope had to clear Customs. Customs is a government agency. Govenrment is slow.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
of the stock's i've ordered from them, for myself or friends, I can honestly say I've been happy with exactly 2 of at least 9.

Anything from the barrel and action inletting being out of alignment with the stock, by ALOT to the totally wrong wood was used, to being 1" short of ordered.

I don't do business with them anymore

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was about to order a stock from these guys, but after reading these posts I'm thinking twice about it [Confused] [Confused] !!

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to Micro-fits quality or service, but I can speak (volumes) about shipping stuff to Canada. Personal mailed shipments are usually a week to ten days. Priority air (or similar) usually takes a week. Normal ground snail mail shipments, at least 3 weeks to 5 weeks. I have had exceptions to these times, but they were just that, exceptions. Must be having to switch the mail over to dogsled that does it. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
OK so maybe I got lucky twice. If you do not use Richard's who do you utilize?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys had me worried. I ordered a varminter
for a lefthanded Savage on Aug. 12-03. they
said it would be two months. I recieved it
today Oct 02-03. They did OK by me.

Yuman

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sometimes wonder if they don't just take orders then cut the stocks when they have enough volume to keep someone busy for a few days. They sent me the wrong everything but after such a long wait I wasn't about to send it back and sold it off to get my money back.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys:

For some time I have been interested in one of their dual thumbhole laminated stocks. Do you think that less wood in that area would make for a significant problem in strength? The reason for this is I want to stock a 416 Taylor with it and don't want it to crack under recoil. Do you think the laminated ones would be stronger than standard?

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
W. Wilson:
I read a post from a guy who had the dual-grip thumbhole; he said he dropped it and it broke there where the wood is thin. The straight-line thumbhole has a little more beef there; you may want to consider that one. I went with the lefty thumbhole target; they would have gotten the written order o/a July 21. I am hoping they can deliver at 12-13 weeks. They say don't even bother calling until this time period has elapsed. I am hoping it's a good cut because I probably won't order from them again given what I am reading in this topic. You may want to look at MPI stocks; they have a groovy thumbhole design that looks alot like the classic Lawson Cochise (I think they are kinda pricey, myself). Go to www.mpistocks.com and check them out.

[ 10-04-2003, 01:27: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer, if you think that Richards Precions Microfit has a bad rep then do a search for MPI. They are the masters of poor customer relationship and poor performance.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend and I have ordered at least a dozen stocks from Richards over the past several years with no problems. Slow, yes, but they tell you that up front. They run a deal on seconds every so often that is hard to beat.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
these folks just dont CARE... and, frankly, I don't want any part of my firearms to be made without care.

but, for 50 bucks, and it's going to be a truck gun anyway, they make good kindling

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox...
So does MPI really stand for "Masters of Pissing-off, Incorporated?" If Acra-Bond made a neato thumbhole target stock duplicating or similar to the one I ordered from Richard's, I'd have gone with them, but they do not yet offer this design. Is the Cochise Thumbhole available anywhere? I searched for it about a year ago and found nothing.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bubba John:
A friend and I have ordered at least a dozen stocks from Richards over the past several years with no problems. Slow, yes, but they tell you that up front. They run a deal on seconds every so often that is hard to beat.

Richards is not for the impatient or those looking for a quick drop in.

I'm currently working on two of more than one hundred I've had over the last thirty years. Never had one that was misrepresented. Have always received stocks within their time frame.

If you need closer inletting or faster turn around try:
http://www.wenig.com/

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YUMAN,
You're ahead of me... Maybe my style is not as popular as what you ordered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to puke!! I just did an msn search for "cochise thumbhole rifle stock" and it popped up just one source-- some shit having to do with supporting Hillary Clinton. Pass me a nausea bag, quick!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
I want to puke!! I just did an msn search for "cochise thumbhole rifle stock" and it popped up just one source-- some shit having to do with supporting Hillary Clinton. Pass me a nausea bag, quick!

Try Harry Lawson Co. If I remember correctly, they were one of the originators of that style of stock.

HARRY LAWSON CO
Address: 3328 N.RICHEY BLVD TUSCON, AZ 85716
Voice: 1-520-326-1117

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote