Notify
Tools

Remington CRF dangerous game rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
ARsters,

I stopped off at the Remington booth as part of my "gunmaker tour" at the recent SCI Convention in Reno. I asked the "booth rat" -- a Remington marketing type -- if Remington had any intention of bringing out a controlled round feed rifle action. I reminded him of Remington's history with the Model 30, 30S and the 720. He told me he owned a Model 30 himself, but that Remington was committed to their "three rings of steel" design -- no CRF designs need apply.

He then went on to show me an African (mumble) model with a straight-line, detachable box magazine while saying the combination provides all the advantages of a CRF action.

As we walked away Renae asked me why this guy thought fixing a problem with another problem waiting to happen was a Good Thing? Out of the mouth of babes, indeed.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Maybe they will get Boddington to shoot a buffalo with that detachable box magazine, push feed DGR. Film it and put it TV. Just like they did with their .375 RUM. That will probably sell a lot of rifles. [Wink]

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
<chuk>
posted
Art Wheaton used that very rifle on the RUM hunt in the Selous with Boddington and Chub Eastman.

chuck

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Why does everyone think that box magazines are so bad.

I realize that it can fall out...but a floor plate can come unhinged also.

In 100s of days in the field, I have not had a box magazine fall out.

Interested in folks comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Box mags are much more likely to fall out under very heavy recoil, such as 458 lott and above.

Same with hinged floor plates of poor quality.

I would go with a fixed floor plate if I thought I would never have to fix a jam. But a hinged floorplate sure unjams a rifle quick.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Honestly a box magazine is just one more thing for me to carry and one more thing to loose. Besides they are ugly and non-traditional to my mind of a centerfire big game bolt.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Having once carried a detachable box magazine and gas operated push feed weapon while hunting dangerous game, I and my buddies who returned from the hunt can attest to the simplicity and success of the design...

Although seemingly problematic at first and totally unrelated to the magazine and style of feed, these push feed detachable box magazine weapons are now considered "the weapon of choice" by many governments and are today being used worldwide in the hot pursuit of the worlds most dangerous game. Even in Africa...
[Smile]

Malm

[ 02-15-2003, 00:14: Message edited by: G.Malmborg ]

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I have a friend who were in flames about detachable box magazine. After buying new rifles with this "fantastic" invetion he suddenly swapped posiotion and hated them.

He wounded a Maral stag in Kazakstan and almost lost it since the new invention had gotten a bit worn and wouldn't feed properly. The second shoot were pure luck. The other occation were in Africa were his three magazines got lost and there were not chance in hell to find a replacement. Soo, my friend ended up shooting a buffalo with a single shoot bolt action with two ejection ports [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I visited his house before New Year and inspected the gun vault, there were no sign of any rifles with detachable box magazine's. I wonder why [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

[ 02-15-2003, 05:06: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Jim Dodd's First Law of Sales:

If you can't fix it, feature it.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
Jim Dodd's First Law of Sales:

If you can't fix it, feature it.

[Big Grin]

Remington has built a substantial business doing just that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Remington is correct in their advertising. I've always considered the 700 to be an extremely dangerous game rifle. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KurtC:
I've always considered the 700 to be an extremely dangerous game rifle. [Big Grin]

OUCH... that was good! [Eek!]