New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem Mag barrel to 7mm SAUM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a barrel chambered for 7mm Rem mag be shortened a bit and rechambered for 7mm SAUM?

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would guess you would be looking at trying to shorten the barrel by over 1/2" if not more. Even if you have enough shank the barrel fit in the stock would look like crap.

I sure wouldn't even consider it. Sell the barrel and start over. Not sure how a 7mag action would handle the SAUM either.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about converting an existing rifle or do you have a 7 mag barrel that you are considering converting for a build? If it is an existing rifle I wouldn't bother as the result is no better than the SAUM. If is the latter, then you need to make sure there is enough "meat" left in the barrel to handle the SAUM after shortening.
quote:
Originally posted by DKim:
Can a barrel chambered for 7mm Rem mag be shortened a bit and rechambered for 7mm SAUM?

David

Posts: 3782 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, this can probably be done. I rechambered a cheap rem take-off in 7mm mag to 7wsm. The wsm (and saum) are shorter than the 7mm mag, so it worked out pretty well to cut off most of the old tennon (which was crooked anyway). This meant the new reamer could move forward just enough to cut a fresh neck/throat, and a new tennon could be cut inline with the bore.

As has been mentioned, make sure there is enough remaining thickness, particularly at the front of the chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. It is an extra "premium" barrel already chambered in 7mm Rem mag.

Checking to see how it may used for something different.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure it can but I think all short magnums are a solution to a non-existent problem. I have built them, though, and they turned out very accurate but that is what the customer wanted and they are always right. Not.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote