Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Redhawk question
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
I have a Ruger Redhawk, 44 magnum. SA pull is quite nice, DA pull is very hard. Which I know is part and parcel to this style of pistol.

You see, my sight picture changes over the course of squeezing the trigger in the DA mode.

I would like DA pull to be crisper and lighter. Can this be done? What will it entail?

For you gunsmiths that have done so, what would the approximate cost run?

Thank You

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've fired a friends redhawk that had an action job from Magnaport, and the DA is silky smooth. I don't know what they do beyond polishing and possibly lightening some springs, but they definately know how to tune the redhawk.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Joe,

A couple thoughts for you. Dry firing (lots) does wonders on smoothing the pull, but will not noticably lighten it. I would be hesitant in cutting coils/replacing the spring with a lighter one, you may adversely affect the reliability.

The Ruger has a second "detent" right before the hammer drops. Detent is not the right word, but it is hard to describe. You can feel it when you pull the trigger very slowly. If you get it to the second detent, then focus on the sights, then squeeze that last little bit until it breaks, you can do some very accurate double action shooting.

Hope it helps, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote