Find
Notify
Tools

English style 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all you gunmakers !!

I like the old guns from Rigby ,Holland and Holland etc... The bolt rifles that really spark my interest are those with longer barrels, short forends and drop belly magazine boxes.

If you had a customer who wanted a .223 built to look like the old Rigby or H&H guns what receiver would you suggest to start with?

Some of my other thoughts for this project are having double square bridges or a single square bridge, quarter rib.....

Thanks

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mini Mark X

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree...the Mini would be perfect...years ago, I once did a .22 RF (highly modified Kimber action) in the "safari" style

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of one built at Martini&Hagn. No drop box or square bridges but it certainly has the an English theme to it.

Here is another I'm having built. The metal work was done by Shane Thompson and the stock will be built James Anderson. He should be starting the pattern the 1st part of next week.

Another one but in 7.62X39. The metal work is by James Anderson. The stock work is just begining. It looks a little clubby in these pictures. It'll lose some mass before it's over with.

Just some ideas.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006 , Duane Wiebe

I have heard of the Interarms and Charles Daly mini mauser's. But never had my hands on one. Are they the same rifle just differant import names? Which one is ideal to build on?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Here is a picture of one built at Martini&Hagn. No drop box or square bridges but it certainly has the an English theme to it.

Here is another I'm having built. The metal work was done by Shane Thompson and the stock will be built James Anderson. He should be starting the pattern the 1st part of next week.

Another one but in 7.62X39. The metal work is by James Anderson. The stock work is just begining. It looks a little clubby in these pictures. It'll lose some mass before it's over with.

Just some ideas.

Terry

Those rifles are sweet

Terry, Thank you for posting these photo's. I like the bolt handle. And that saftey is very nice, was it custom made or can one be purchased from someone like Lapour's? Tell me about those bridges?

Thanks

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm not fla3006 or Duane Wiebe, but I can tell you they are all the same. Some say Charles Daly, some say Interarms MarkX and the newer ones say Remington arms. They are all made by Zastava and just imported under a different name. Of the two that I posted pictures of, one is a Charles Daly and the other is a Remington. I had the name ground off both of mine.

Terry

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
James Anderson did the mock bridges on the 7.62X39 and Shane Thompson did the ones on the .223.

James Anderson did the 3-position safties and will be doing the bolt handles on both. I highly recommend both gunsmiths!

Here are a couple of very cool threads about the work in progress on both rifles.

7.62X39 Mini Mauser

.223 Mini Mauser

These projects have been a lot of fun.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
TCI Terry, Is James just going to Duplicate a pattern for you and you finish it, or hand shape it for you etc?

He did a nice job Duplicating my pattern for me. I wish my work would pick up so I can send him more to do

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
TCI Terry, Is James just going to Duplicate a pattern for you and you finish it, or hand shape it for you etc?

He did a nice job Duplicating my pattern for me. I wish my work would pick up so I can send him more to do

James will be doing the entire stock start to finish. One will be a 1st class full custom (.223) and the other (7.62X39) will be a nice semi custom.

I'm in the same boat as far as lose cash goes. Times are tough. Frowner

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the Mini mauser actions forged,cast,etc..?

Is is possible to have a drop belly magazine box made for the mini , stradle floorplate, with the front receiver ring screw being shorter then the rear screw? I think thats what the old makers did to give it the classic floor plate angle.

I found a photo to show what I'm trying to decribe above. I'm not the best with words.
http://www.champlinarms.com/De...&StyleID=2&GunID=658

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
James Anderson did a run of custom mini Mauser bottom metal awhile back. It wasn't a dropbox though. I bet anything is possible if your pockets are deep enough Eeker

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the Mini mauser actions forged,cast,etc..?

Is the mini mauser in fact a MAUSER with all the great design qualities of the 98?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of the Mini-Mauser bolt face, imported as a Rem 799.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com...8_091406/index1.html

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote