THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need Advice on Removing Cylinder From My Taurus .454 Raging Bull

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice on Removing Cylinder From My Taurus .454 Raging Bull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have about 7 or 8 hundred rounds thru this gun, mostly 300 grain lead bullets. About every 200 rounds or so (with normal cleaning between shooting sessions) I notice the cylinder gets more and more difficult to turn. Have been more or less resolving the problem using Break Free to try and flush out the Cylinder center hole with ejector rod still in it.

I've reached the point of diminishing returns and suspect that the cumulative effects of all that lead bullet shooting needs thoroughly cleaned out. I've removed the cylinder and crane (Taurus calls it a yoke) as a single unit but have been unable to determine how to seperate the cylinder and yoke. I was told on another forum that the cylinder slides forward off the yoke/ejector rod. Mine doesn't. Can anybody tell me how to do it?

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Cpt. Jack

Posts: 83 | Location: Soda Springs, ID USA | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've never taken a Taurus apart. On the S&W you hold the cylinder and unscrew the ejector rod.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
To remove the crane (Taurus calls it the "yoke") remove the front sideplate screw, being careful not to lose the yoke retaining plunger and spring underneath it, and note how they go in. Open the cylinder and holding the cylinder and yoke, pull the yoke forward out of the frame. Be careful not to lose the cylinder stop spring and plunger in the bottom part of the yoke. Again, note how they go in.

Slide the yoke forward off the cylinder. This should be sufficient takedown for cleaning.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote