New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Metalsmithing Book
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My book has been out less than a month and I'm about sold out of the first printing. I know a fair number of copies went to people reading AR. I've gotten a lot of good revues, and there has been time for you to have read it at least once. Is there any questions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
So for those who want to follow along, Blue is talking about making adjustments to a milling machines boring head so he can machine a scope base radius to match a receiver ring.

The scale on the boring head and the boring bar have no relationship. If your boring a hole, you bore a hole undersize, measure the hole and see how far undersize you are. Use the boring head scale to adjust the tool to get the right diameter hole.

Once you've found the edges of the scope base block and centered the spindle of the mill. Reset your zeros and move the table in the X axis the radius you want. Adjust the boring bar so it make contact with the scope base. I use a felt marker to blacken the steel so I can see when the boring bar come into contact with the scope base. This will give you the proper receiver ring radius.

I hope this helps..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, So I was napping or drunk or something...

Where and how much?

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I received my copy about a week ago....

I took a class from Mark awhile back in Trinidad, and had one of the best learning experiences in my life.

With that said, I didn't have time to work on the custom scope bases, etc., as I was too focused on mastering my threading and chambering technique. While at the same time, I was keeping a close eye on the others in the class that were cutting the octagon barrels, and working on the mounts, etc.

I had built my own surface grinding fixture, loosely based on Mark's design that I used at Trinidad. After looking at the plans in his book, I'm reworking my fixture in an attempt to increase my accuracy.

Mark's book was well worth the money, certainly cleared up a few of my "fuzzy memory" areas, and opened my eyes to more than a few new ideas, and different tricks.

Bryan

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
What's on the CD?

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Higher quality pictures.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, do you still have any available? I'm a little slow on the ship. Drop me a PM when you get the chance.

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post

verrocchio100,

In my shop there is more than one drawer and I'm still finding fixtures that should have gone in the book. I have a Ruger Nunber One surface grinding fixture that didn't make it. I make custom scope bases for either the Redfield or Leupold twist in scope rings and I forgot to add the tools and procedures. I'm still designing and building tools and fixtures, so I look that this book as a work in progress. There's a reason for the 3 ring binder, you can open it up and add more information. If you bought a copy, the last page in a mail in questioneer. If you send it in, I will place you on the mailing list for future additions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I would be very interested in a second printing as well. Any plans or timetables for that?

Thanks.....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mark,
got your book and read it from cover to cover. some projects are out of the range of my small milling machine but knowlege you give is still good. i sent back your survey slip.

for any one contemplating metal work this is a must have book along with the john hinnant book being sold by precision shooting now. these are the nuts and bolt procedures of firearms metalwork.

jmo, max

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started the book project I didn't have any idea how mant copies I could sell or the interest level. I didn't know if 100 copies was a life time supply, a year's supply or a month's. There really isn't anything on the market that took metalsmithing to this level. Needless to say a second printig is on the way. I haven't run out yet of the first printing, I have about a week's supply left at the rate I'm sending them out. One thing, I don't think this is a collectors book. I'm not having the printer label the second printing any different than the first. I do sign each copy if that makes and difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So I can slow down the email traffic to my computer, The cost of the book is $75 plus $4 shipping. If you wish to use either Vias or MasterCard give me a call at 425-745-8309. If you want to place an order by mail, the address is:

Mark Stratton Gunmaker
PO Box 813
Mukilteo, WA 98275

I hope that everyone who purchased a copy enjoys it and gets some good information out of it.

Thanks,

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a copy of the book and I am very impressed with overall presentation. Most, if not all, the info is way over my head but the pics of the rifles are awesome.

Mark, how about some info about how you set up an action for truing?

Definitely a great read!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Mark

Please reserve one to me I'll call to charge to my visa .

Saludos

Daniel from Spain

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I don't know Chic, it took me two whole minutes to get my money's worth out of it.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote