New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Synthetic stocked rifle accurizing question
 Login/Join

<heider>
posted
I have a Sako 75 stainless synthetic in .338 win mag. It shoots 1 1 1/4 groups at best with over $300 load development, what can be done to the rifle to make it a little more accurate short of changing the barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello heider.

The first thing I would suspect on a Sako is the scope mounts. What brand do you use?

The only mounts I found really good so far is Sakos own and Warnes. I had to lap the Warne rings before things calmed down.

Sakos own mounts with a base and separate ring with plastic inserts seemes to be the best choise. Not cheap and not good looking but they work!!

It�s also important to drive the front base well on to the tapered dovetail on the action. Dont over do this, that will break the base! The forward base need to be gently tapped on to the tapered base to be rock solid.

A Sako rifle useally shoots exellent without any tuning at all. But the scopemount could mess things up.

I have made a few Sako rifles shoot very well by just remount the scope(if the rifle have Sako mounts) The owners have several times been planning for new barrels etc. before the scope have ben remounted in the proper way.

Good luck with your Sako 75!

Reg.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other option is the new Talley bases and rings for this rifle. I just mounted a scope with these on a 75 SS in 270 Win. caliber and produced the best 5 shot group l've ever shot at 100 yards with handloads.

The only downside is that the Talley's are pricey but l think they are worth it. On a Sako 75 varmint 222 Rem l just used Sako opti-lock rings and bases and they work well.

Good luck.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
heider, in re-reading your post are you saying that you are getting 11 and 1/4" groups or one to one and one quarter inch groups and are these at 100 yards?

If you are getting the 1 to 1 and 1/4" inch groups with a 338 Win Mag at 100 yards then l think you are doing okay and shaving even one-half moa is really splitting hairs for a big game rifle. I would think that even one and one-half inch groups are ok for practical hunting accuracy but it all depends on what you use your rifle for. I guess one should try for the last bit of accuracy from any rifle however there are limits also and the main one sometimes is the one pulling the trigger.

Just a thought and good luck.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<heider>
posted
I am using the Sako opti-lock rings. The best groups that I seem to get are one and one quarter inches but most are in the 2' group. I want this to be accurate at long range and so it's also a confidence thing for me.

posted Hide Post
Heider,

Firstly I would try some Sako ammo in it to act as a bench mark; something like the 180grn would do. Then I would get someone else to shoot it, just to confirm its not you...I assume you have checked and tightened all the action screws? Is the Model 75 free floated? If so, check the barrel channel for clearence. If this is ok, try installing a tempory pressure point under the barrel. I use a 1" strip of rubber cut from a car inner tube. Cut it long and slide it between the barrel and the stock. Sometimes it needs to be folded double to apply enough pressure. Anyways, try this pressure pad and try moving it up and down the barrel channel..in effect you are almost "tuning" it here...

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be your shooting

Posts: 2553 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put it in a McMillan stock. That is what I do.

My Synthetic stocked 75 in 300 Win Mag shoots 1 /1/4" to 2" groups as well.

I will then shoot an older AV in a McMillan stock and get 3/4" groups.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Might be your shooting

Someone forgot to "spring forward"... Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote